1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency in pipes

1. Apr 10, 2004 #1
    First of all, thanks to everyone on the physics forum! My semester is almost over and I know I never would have gotten through it without the help of the people on these boards :)
    Here's my question:
    A certain pipe produces a fundmanetal frequency of 218 Hz in air. If the pipe is filled with helium at the same temperature, what fundamental frequency does it produce? The molar mass of air is 28.8 g/mol and the molar mass of helium is 4 g/mol.
    I used v=lamda*f
    344=lambda*218
    lambda=1.578

Then, I assumed the wavelength (lambda) would be constant. From a table, I found the value of sound in helium to be 927 m/s. So 927=(1.578)f to get f=587.4593 Hz.
    This is incorrect. Where did I go wrong? I'm not really what to make of the molar masses.

Thanks in advance,
    eku_girl

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2004 #2
    Maybe its just a simple ratio of mass to frequency? Highly doubt it though.

4. Apr 10, 2004 #3

krab

Science Advisor

Somewhere in your notes, you must have the fact that speed of sound is proportional to deinsity to the power -1/2. Take sqrt(28.8/4) multiply by 218 Hz. I get 585 Hz, which is very close to your value.

5. Apr 10, 2004 #4

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you entering the answer into a computerized system?

If so, check your significant figures. I doubt you'll know the frequency down to the 100 microHz.

6. Apr 11, 2004 #5
    sqrt (28.8/4)^1/2 * 218 still doesn't yield the correct answer. Also, the reason I have so many significant figures in my answer is because we submit our homework to an online program which only permits for a 2% deviation from the published answer.

7. Apr 11, 2004 #6
    sqrt (28.8/4)^1/2 * 218 still doesn't yield the correct answer. Also, the reason I have so many significant figures in my answer is because we submit our homework to an online program which only permits for a 2% deviation from the published answer.
    Does anyone have an idea on how to do this? I checked my notes and my textbook, but I have nothing on the relationshiop between frequency and molar mass. Please help :eek:

8. Apr 11, 2004 #7

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I believe that you also have to consider that He is monatomic while air is diatomic. The speed of sound is proportional to sqrt(γ/M), where M is the molar mass and where γ is 3/2 for a (ideal) monatomic gas and 5/2 for a diatomic gas. So Vhelium = sqrt[(3/5)(28.8/4)] Vair = 2.0785 Vair. So I get the frequency in Helium to be about 453 Hz.

9. Apr 12, 2004 #8

krab

Science Advisor

My bad. I forgot about [itex]\gamma[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?