Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency Modulation

1. Oct 30, 2010 #1
    For frequency modulation, will the modulated signal always be periodic? or does the periodicity depend on the modulation index? or does it depend on whether the message signal is periodic?
    Thanks for any help on this

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2010 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

This sounds a little like homework. There's a very nice illustration at the Wikipedia page:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modulation

Consider what might be the case (AM or FM) if you had:
    a) a periodic information signal, and
    b) a non-periodic information signal

Remember the definition of periodic is that f(t+To)=f(t), i.e. you see the same thing repeated over, and over again.

4. Oct 31, 2010 #3
    From what I observed, if the information signal is periodic, the modulated signal from FM and AM will be periodic. However, if the information signal is non periodic, the modulated signal will be non periodic for AM. Please correct me if I am wrong so far.

However, I am abit unsure as to whether the FM modulated signal will be periodic for modulation index < 1 because the modulated signal from a simulation trial looks periodic to me, however, I suspect that it is not. Please enlighten me on this.

Thanks for the advice

5. Oct 31, 2010 #4

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Your interpretation of AM is correct. For the FM, the modulation index "is a measure of the peak frequency deviation." Thus, when your modulation index < 1 (and I suspect, << 1 in your example) the frequency isn't really shifting very much, and it won't be really noticeable when you plot out a few cycles of the carrier (and probably really won't be noticeable when you plot out lots and lots of cycles and everything bands together).
    http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/navy/docs/es310/FM.htm

6. Oct 31, 2010 #5
    Thanks MATLABdude, so am I right to say that for non periodic information signal, FM modulated signal is non periodic, just that it is not very noticeable?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook