Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency Multiplier?

1. Apr 13, 2007 #1
    Hello All,

I've been working on making a special three-channel pulse circuit that has three harmonic outputs using a 7473 flip-flip IC. I am presently driving it with my function generator, which only goes up to 1MHz and I can divide the frequency down to 500 kHz and 250 kHz using the flip flip chip.

However, I am wondering if there is any kind of IC that does just the opposite of the flip flop, meaning that it doubles the frequency that you put into it? Ideally, I want to be able to control the thing with my function generator but be able to go up to higher harmonics then I am capable of reaching at the moment.

Thanks,
    Jason O

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2007 #2
    I don't know anything off the top of my head, but conceptually, you can use your function generator to make a square wave, and then use a narrowband amplifier to amplify the higher harmonics.

4. Apr 13, 2007 #3
    Build a class C amplifier and tune the tank circuit to a harmonic of the input frequency.

5. Apr 13, 2007 #4
    Is there any way to make it variable? I made the flip-flop circuit so that I could dynamically vary all three frequencies by varying the signal generator input.

Attached Files:

6. Apr 16, 2007 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What you are describing is a phase-locked loop (PLL):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLL

You make a PLL with a voltage-controlled oscillator (VCO) like a 74HC124 or more modern one, along with a feedback/divider circuit that locks a multiple of the basic oscillator frequency onto the fundamental frequency. Like, you could make a x8 PLL to give you an 8MHz output waveform that is locked to (and based upon) the 1MHz input frequency.

PLLs are a very interesting function block, and very useful in the real world. I'd encourage you to do some reading, and to build a few with discrete parts like the 74HC124 and flip-flop dividers. Pay particular attention to the math behind the stability of the feedback path, and the startup/lock times and phase jitter calculations.

Good project, Jason.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?