Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency mutiplication IC?

1. Jan 22, 2008 #1
    Are there any ICs that multiply the frequency of a sinusoidal signal? I have 60Hz signal coming in, and I'd like to make it say...a 20khz signal. Is there an IC that can do this?

Right now I'm just rectifying the 60Hz signal, then using it to drive an oscillator (555 timer in astable mode really). It works fine, but it seems like I shouldn't have to do all this.

I know that modulation ICs exist, but then, I'd have to set up a sinusoid of a different frequency, and I've opened up a new can of worms, I think.

Suggestions are welcome
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2008 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

4. Jan 22, 2008 #3

berkeman

So what exactly are you wanting to do. Just make a continuous wave (CW) signal at 20kHz? Or amplitude modulate (AM) a 20kHz carrier signal with the 60Hz waveform's envelope? Or transfer AM information from the 60Hz waveform to the 20kHz waveform?

5. Jan 23, 2008 #4
    I just want a 20Khz signal--no modulation or anything. I'm not sure what you mean by transferring information, but I'm pretty sure I don't want that.

I just thought, maybe, since I already have a sinusoidal signal, I could just bump up the frequency somehow. That's turning out not to be the case, heh.

EDIT: for this modulation IC you've linked me to (LM1496), I'd need to create another signal (to the be the carrier) anyway, right? I'd sort of be back where I started. ?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  6. Jan 23, 2008 #5

berkeman

Yes, if all you want is a 20kHz signal, then start with DC as a power supply to your oscillator circuit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?