Calculating the Frequency of Vertical Vibration in a Bouncing Car

In summary, the student is trying to calculate the frequency for the vertical vibration of his car after sitting in it and causing the springs to sink. The solution involves using the formula for potential energy and the frequency formula for a simple spring and mass system. The student also considered the weight added by the boy when calculating the spring constant, using Hooke's Law. The calculated frequency is 3.3Hz.
Chrisemo
Hi, I hope somebody can help me.I'm stuck in this problem..I want to make sure I made it right before sending to the teacher.Thank you very much

1. Homework Statement

An 80.0 kg student sits down in his 920 kg car, and his weight causes the causes the car's springs to sink an additional 4.0 x 10-3 m. The student then gets out of his car and bounces it up and down. Treating the system as a simple spring and mass, calculate the frequency for the vertical vibration.

Please give a full detailed explanation of solution

Homework Equations

PEs=1/2Kx^2

f=1/T=1/2pi Square root(m/k)

The Attempt at a Solution

Used conservation of energy using only the boy's mass and found a spring constant k=3. 92x10^5.
With the spring constant added in the 2nd formula with only the mass of the car, found the frequecy of 3.3Hz

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
Chrisemo said:

1. Homework Statement

An 80.0 kg student sits down in his 920 kg car, and his weight causes the causes the car's springs to sink an additional 4.0 x 10-3 m. The student then gets out of his car and bounces it up and down. Treating the system as a simple spring and mass, calculate the frequency for the vertical vibration.

Please give a full detailed explanation of solution

Homework Equations

PEs=1/2Kx^2

f=1/T=1/2pi Square root(m/k)

The Attempt at a Solution

Used conservation of energy using only the boy's mass and found a spring constant k=3. 92x10^5.
A car is designed so as it vibrations attenuate very fast.
When the boy sit in his car, the springs lower by an additional 4.0 x 10-3 m in the new equilibrium position. You can not apply conservation energy when calculating the spring constant.
When the boy makes his car move up and down he can do that with appreciable amplitude at the resonant frequency of the car. For that frequency, the formula you quoted is valid.

So, what can I use to calculate the spring constant,can I use the sum of the forces normal and mg of the boy? -N+mg=-Kx

Chrisemo said:
So, what can I use to calculate the spring constant,can I use the sum of the forces normal and mg of the boy? -N+mg=-Kx
Use Hooke's Law.

Ok, so F= - Kx = mg, but which mass do I use? Car+boy or only boy?

Chrisemo said:
Ok, so F= - Kx = mg, but which mass do I use? Car+boy or only boy?
Hooke's Law is linear. The extra weight causes an extra amount of compression.

If the only weight added is the boy's I think it will be
Kx=mg
so,K=(80x9.82)/4.0x10^-3=1.96x10^5

Chrisemo said:
If the only weight added is the boy's I think it will be
Kx=mg
so,K=(80x9.82)/4.0x10^-3=1.96x10^5

Yes, it is correct (if you mean N/m)

Thank you very much :)

1. What is the frequency of a bounce car?

The frequency of a bounce car refers to the number of times the car bounces up and down per second. It is measured in hertz (Hz) and is dependent on various factors such as the weight of the car and the surface it is bouncing on.

2. How is the frequency of a bounce car calculated?

The frequency of a bounce car can be calculated by dividing the number of bounces by the time it takes for those bounces to occur. For example, if a car bounces 10 times in 5 seconds, the frequency would be 2 Hz (10 bounces / 5 seconds = 2 Hz).

3. Does the material of the car affect its frequency?

Yes, the material of the car can affect its frequency. A heavier car will have a lower frequency, while a lighter car will have a higher frequency. Additionally, the elasticity of the car's material can also impact its frequency.

4. How does the surface impact the frequency of a bounce car?

The surface the car is bouncing on can greatly impact its frequency. A harder surface will result in a higher frequency, while a softer surface will result in a lower frequency. This is because the harder surface provides more resistance, causing the car to bounce back quicker.

5. Can the frequency of a bounce car be changed?

Yes, the frequency of a bounce car can be changed by altering its weight, material, or the surface it is bouncing on. Heavier cars will have a lower frequency, while lighter cars will have a higher frequency. Changing the surface from a soft to a hard material can also increase the frequency.