Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency of a quacking Duck

1. Dec 30, 2003 #1
    I recorded the sound of a Duck quack (kwack), then, using my frequency meter I was able to determine that the duck quacked at 479 Hertz, for this particular Duck. I am thinking of trying to determine the frequency of a Geese "honk" next. Stay tuned.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2003 #2
    u ahve way too much time on your hands! but its very interesting none the less.

4. Dec 30, 2003 #3

Njorl

Science Advisor

I would think that a duck's quack would have a very noisy signature. I bet the 479 hertz is just the largest component. Can you filter it out and repeat the measurement?

Njorl

5. Dec 30, 2003 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do female Ducks quack at a higher frequency?

6. Dec 31, 2003 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Only if you pull their tail

timejim,
    Yes, our quack is made up of many frequencies. You can actually hear this since the duck does not produce a perfect tone. Listen to a 479 Hz tone, say using a tone generator chip or a 555 timer from Radio Shack; this sounds nothing like our duck...even if modulated in a quacking manner.

You could determine the dominate frequencies with the right equipment; you might consider a tuned, resonant circuit to check for the strength of each frequency - really the sound version of a radio which selects specific frequencies in the radio part of the EM spectrum. Your frequency meter is likely showing the RMS average of all frequencies present; with the dominant frequency(s) being the largest contributor(s).

7. Dec 31, 2003 #6
    Then you can let us know if they really do or do not echo.
    If not, you can figure out why.

8. Dec 31, 2003 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Dec 31, 2003 #8
  10. Jan 5, 2004 #9
    just give me the sound file. I'll post the FFT for everybody...

11. Jan 18, 2004 #10
    They don't quack unless the male duck gives them "quacking" permission! Har har har.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?