Frequency of a quacking Duck

• Thread starter timejim
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I recorded the sound of a Duck quack (kwack), then, using my frequency meter I was able to determine that the duck quacked at 479 Hertz, for this particular Duck. I am thinking of trying to determine the frequency of a Geese "honk" next. Stay tuned.

Answers and Replies

u ahve way too much time on your hands! but its very interesting none the less.

Njorl
Science Advisor
I would think that a duck's quack would have a very noisy signature. I bet the 479 hertz is just the largest component. Can you filter it out and repeat the measurement?

Njorl

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Do female Ducks quack at a higher frequency?

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by Monique
Only if you pull their tail

timejim,
Yes, our quack is made up of many frequencies. You can actually hear this since the duck does not produce a perfect tone. Listen to a 479 Hz tone, say using a tone generator chip or a 555 timer from Radio Shack; this sounds nothing like our duck...even if modulated in a quacking manner.

You could determine the dominate frequencies with the right equipment; you might consider a tuned, resonant circuit to check for the strength of each frequency - really the sound version of a radio which selects specific frequencies in the radio part of the EM spectrum. Your frequency meter is likely showing the RMS average of all frequencies present; with the dominant frequency(s) being the largest contributor(s).

Then you can let us know if they really do or do not echo.
If not, you can figure out why.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by timejim
I recorded the sound of a Duck quack (kwack), then, using my frequency meter I was able to determine that the duck quacked at 479 Hertz, for this particular Duck. I am thinking of trying to determine the frequency of a Geese "honk" next. Stay tuned.
just give me the sound file. I'll post the FFT for everybody...

Originally posted by Monique
They don't quack unless the male duck gives them "quacking" permission! Har har har.