Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency of a wave and capacitance

1. Mar 15, 2004 #1
    Hi,

I have read that as a capacitor discharges, it emits electromegnetic waves. Plz tell me does the frequency of these waves increase as the capacitance of the capacitor increases.

Thanks a lot,
    Chamal.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2004 #2
    I think that what you stated pretty much is an example of a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. There are MANY things that can happen when a capacitor discharges. It just depends on HOW it discharges. On its own, a capacitor discharging slowly through its own leakage will not emit any noticeable EM waves. Take a capacitor and charge it, then quickly discharge it by shorting it leads, then yes, it will emit EM waves because of the arcing. It can easily be proven by doing this next to an AM radio. You will hear it in the speaker.

4. Mar 15, 2004 #3
    One thing average didn't answer was the capacity question. The larger the capacitor ( in terms of Farads ) is the more energy it stores.This tho has no baring on the question of Fq

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?