How Does Frequency Affect the Strength of an Electromagnet?

In summary, the relationship between electromagnets (or permanent magnets) and frequency is that the frequency of current and magnetic field is equal to the frequency of the source. There is no direct relationship between the strength of the magnetic field (measured in gauss) and the frequency. Electromagnets typically use DC current, but can also use AC current after being converted to DC. The strength of the magnetic field is determined by the number of loops, the radius of the loops, and the permeability of the material used. Some common values for permeability include 1.00E-05 for Ferrite U 60, 9.42E-04 for Ferrite M33, 7.54E-04 for
ymhtr
I am looking for a relation between electromagnet (or permanent magnet) and frequency.For example what is the frequency of an electromagnet that has 45000 gauss electromagnetic field?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such relation.

You use a DC current to power an electromagnet. I am not aware of an electromagnet that uses AC currents without converting them first to DC.

ymhtr said:
has 45000 gauss electromagnetic field?
Thanks.
It is 45000 gauss magnetic field

I=I0[sin(wt+k)]
B=μnI/2πr {n=no.of loops, r=radius of a loop}

To the right are the values of μ
Ferrite U 60 => 1.00E-05
Ferrite M33 => 9.42E-04
Nickel (99% pure)=> 7.54E-04
Ferrite N41 => 3.77E-03
Iron (99.8% pure)=> 6.28E-03
Ferrite T38 => 1.26E-02
Silicon GO steel => 5.03E-02
supermalloy => 1.26

The frequency of current and magnetic field is equal to the frequency of source

Last edited:

What is the frequency of an electromagnet?

The frequency of an electromagnet refers to the number of times the magnetic field cycles per second. It is measured in hertz (Hz).

How is the frequency of an electromagnet determined?

The frequency of an electromagnet is determined by the power source and the physical properties of the magnet, such as the number of turns in the coil and the strength of the current.

What factors can affect the frequency of an electromagnet?

The frequency of an electromagnet can be affected by changes in the power source, the physical properties of the magnet, and the presence of other magnetic fields.

Why is the frequency of an electromagnet important?

The frequency of an electromagnet is important because it determines the strength and effectiveness of the magnet. Higher frequencies generally result in stronger magnetic fields.

How can the frequency of an electromagnet be changed?

The frequency of an electromagnet can be changed by adjusting the power source, altering the physical properties of the magnet, or changing the environment in which the magnet operates.