How Is Oscillation Frequency Calculated in a Parabolic Potential?

In summary, oscillators are physical or mathematical systems that produce repetitive variations or fluctuations in a quantity or signal. The frequency of an oscillator is defined as the number of cycles or repetitions per unit of time and is affected by factors such as mass, stiffness, and damping. The frequency is important as it determines the timing of a system or device, and can be measured using electronic instruments or calculated by counting oscillations.
AdrianHudson

Homework Statement

consider a one dimensional parabolic potential of the form V(z) = 1/2π(√k/m)
What is the oscillation frequency of this mass?

Homework Equations

1/2π(√k/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

So here this is my attempt

1/2π(√10/.5)
1/2π(3.16/.5)
6.32(1/2π)
=9.9 hz?

Physics news on Phys.org
AdrianHudson said:
V(z) = 1/2π(√k/m)
That is not a function of z. And please use LaTeX as this equation is very hard to read. What is in the denominator?

AdrianHudson said:
1/2π(√10/.5)
Where do these numbers come from? If you want help, please post the full problem.

DrClaude said:
That is not a function of z. And please use LaTeX as this equation is very hard to read. What is in the denominator?

Where do these numbers come from? If you want help, please post the full problem.

Oh crap sorry man the problem didn't get fully pasted I didn't catch that. Here editing it now

1. Homework Statement

Consider a one-dimensional parabolic potential of the form V(z)=10z[itex]^{2}[/itex], acting on a mass of 0.5kg. What is the oscillation frequency of this mass? Choose the most correct answer.

2. Homework Equations
1/2π(√k/m)

3. The Attempt at a Solution
So here this is my attempt

1/2π(√10/.5)
1/2π(3.16/.5)
6.32(1/2π)
=9.9 hz?

Last edited:
AdrianHudson said:
V(z)=10z[itex]^{2}[/itex]
I'm guessing that this is to mean ##V(z) = 10 z^2\ \mathrm{J}\,\mathrm{m}^{-2}##, with proper units.

AdrianHudson said:
2. Homework Equations
1/2π(√k/m)
That is not an equation. An equation needs an equal sign somewhere. I take it you mean
$$
\nu = \frac{1}{2\pi} \frac{\sqrt{k}}{m}
$$
As I said previously, it is hard to understand what is in the denominator and what is under the square root. If this is the equation you used, which seems to be the case considering your numerical result: there is an error in the equation.

AdrianHudson said:
1/2π(√10/.5)
Why do you take ##k=10##?

DrClaude said:
I'm guessing that this is to mean ##V(z) = 10 z^2\ \mathrm{J}\,\mathrm{m}^{-2}##, with proper units.That is not an equation. An equation needs an equal sign somewhere. I take it you mean
$$
\nu = \frac{1}{2\pi} \frac{\sqrt{k}}{m}
$$
As I said previously, it is hard to understand what is in the denominator and what is under the square root. If this is the equation you used, which seems to be the case considering your numerical result: there is an error in the equation.Why do you take ##k=10##?

Sorry about if I'm really not giving you the stuff you need to help. I am taking a shot in the dark here because I am in grade 11 and I'm trying to do stuff that is way above my head, I have been following along in my course but sometimes this stuff throws me in a loop I haven't properly learned all this stuff.

I thought to use the 10 from v(z)=10z^2

AdrianHudson said:
Sorry about if I'm really not giving you the stuff you need to help. I am taking a shot in the dark here because I am in grade 11 and I'm trying to do stuff that is way above my head, I have been following along in my course but sometimes this stuff throws me in a loop I haven't properly learned all this stuff.
I see. So I guess I won't try to get you calculate the derivative to get the correct result!

AdrianHudson said:
I thought to use the 10 from v(z)=10z^2
The thing is, the number in there is not ##k##. The potential energy of a harmonic oscillator is expressed as
$$
V(x) = \frac{1}{2} k x^2
$$
As for the other equation, there was a problem with the square root. The correct equation for the oscillation frequency ##\nu## is
$$
\nu = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}
$$
With this, you should be able to calculate the answer to your problem.

DrClaude said:
I see. So I guess I won't try to get you calculate the derivative to get the correct result!

The thing is, the number in there is not ##k##. The potential energy of a harmonic oscillator is expressed as
$$
V(x) = \frac{1}{2} k x^2
$$
As for the other equation, there was a problem with the square root. The correct equation for the oscillation frequency ##\nu## is
$$
\nu = \frac{1}{2 \pi} \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}
$$
With this, you should be able to calculate the answer to your problem.

Thank you very much ! Just for future reference though , what does the k actually mean in the equation?

AdrianHudson said:
Thank you very much ! Just for future reference though , what does the k actually mean in the equation?
If you differentiate ##V(x) = \frac{1}{2} k x^2## wrt x you get ##F(x)=kx##. So k is the spring constant - ie how much force it takes to change the distance by x.

Mentz114 said:
If you differentiate ##V(x) = \frac{1}{2} k x^2## wrt x you get ##F(x)=kx##. So k is the spring constant - ie how much force it takes to change the distance by x.
That should be ##F(x) = -kx##, as the force is always directed opposite to the displacement.

What is an oscillator?

An oscillator is a physical or mathematical system that produces repetitive variations or fluctuations in a quantity or signal. Examples of oscillators include pendulums, electronic circuits, and atomic clocks.

How is the frequency of an oscillator defined?

The frequency of an oscillator is defined as the number of cycles or repetitions of an oscillation that occur per unit of time. It is usually measured in hertz (Hz) or cycles per second.

What factors affect the frequency of an oscillator?

The frequency of an oscillator is affected by factors such as the mass, stiffness, and damping of the system. In electronic oscillators, the frequency is determined by the components used, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors.

Why is the frequency of an oscillator important?

The frequency of an oscillator is important because it determines the timing of a system or device. For example, the frequency of a clock oscillator determines the accuracy of timekeeping, while the frequency of an electronic oscillator determines the frequency of a radio signal.

How is the frequency of an oscillator measured?

The frequency of an oscillator can be measured using a frequency counter, oscilloscope, or other electronic measuring instruments. It can also be calculated by counting the number of oscillations that occur in a given time period.