Frequency of emitted radiation

In summary, when considering an excited hydrogen atom in state n moving with a velocity v<c, it emits a photon in the direction of its motion and changes its state to a lower state m. To find the frequency of emitted radiation in terms of frequency fo if the atom were at rest, one can use the approach of taking the recoil velocity of the atom and applying energy conservation. This problem may be found in a textbook or other source under the reference q4.
Rajanjx786
Consider an excited hydrogen atom in state n moving with a velocity v<c. it emits a photon in the direction of its motion and changes its state to a lower state m. Find the frequency of emitted radiation in terms of frequency fo if the atom were at rest.
My approach: I tried by taking recoil velocity of atom and doing energy conservation...
Ref:q4
P_20180113_221210.jpg

Attachments

• P_20180113_221210.jpg
    P_20180113_221210.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,259
Physics news on Phys.org
Rajanjx786 said:
Consider an excited hydrogen atom in state n moving with a velocity v<c. it emits a photon in the direction of its motion and changes its state to a lower state m. Find the frequency of emitted radiation in terms of frequency fo if the atom were at rest.
My approach: I tried by taking recoil velocity of atom and doing energy conservation...
Ref:q4View attachment 218387
Welcome to the PF.

Please show your detailed work on the solution. And in the future, please use the Template that you are provided when starting a new schoolwork thread here. It helps to organize your post, and its use is not optional. Thank you.

Rajanjx786 said:
Ref:q4View attachment 218387
Could you tell me which textbook this question is from?? And the answer if you got from other sources

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the frequency of emitted radiation?

The frequency of emitted radiation refers to the number of oscillations or cycles of the electromagnetic wave per second. It is measured in Hertz (Hz) and can range from extremely low frequencies (ELF) to extremely high frequencies (EHF).

2. How is the frequency of emitted radiation determined?

The frequency of emitted radiation is determined by the source of the radiation, such as an atom or molecule, and its energy level. Each type of radiation, such as radio waves, microwaves, or X-rays, has a specific range of frequencies that it can emit.

3. What are the effects of high frequency radiation on living organisms?

High frequency radiation, such as X-rays and gamma rays, can have harmful effects on living organisms due to their high energy. They can cause damage to cells and DNA, leading to health problems such as cancer. It is important to limit exposure to high frequency radiation.

4. Can the frequency of emitted radiation be changed?

The frequency of emitted radiation is determined by the source and cannot be changed. However, certain materials and devices can alter the frequency of radiation, such as lenses in telescopes or filters in cameras.

5. What is the relationship between frequency and wavelength of emitted radiation?

The frequency and wavelength of emitted radiation are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of light / frequency.