Frequency of gears (given frequency of shaft)

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between frequency, tangential velocity, and gear ratios in a gear train. It is clarified that any objects rigidly connected will have the same angular velocity, but not all gears and shafts will have the same frequency. The method of setting tangential velocities equal to each other to find frequency is proven incorrect, as the tangential velocity of a point on a gear depends on its distance from the axis of rotation. It is suggested to look up "Gear train calculations" for further clarification on these concepts.
Reefy

Homework Statement

phpESs742.png

Homework Equations

tangential velocity v = ωr

angular velocity ω = 2πf

The Attempt at a Solution

Not really looking for help to solve the problem. I'm just confused about the speed/angular velocity and frequency

If the frequency of the motor is given as 24 Hz, then that means the shaft AB has that frequency, correct?

Then does that mean the gear A has that same frequency? And then gear B has the same frequency? Or does A share the same frequency as AB and share the same tangential velocity as gear B (meaning different frequencies and obviously different radii)?

More specifically, I'm confused about shaft CD. If I know the frequency of shaft CD, does that mean I know the tangential velocity of gears C and D? Are they the same? How do I relate the frequency of a shaft with its respective gear?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
any object that is rigidly connected to each other will have the same angular velocity(but not all of the gears and shafts have the same frequency)
the shaft AB will have the same frequency as that of gear B(because they are rigidly connected).
similarly shaft CD has same angular velocity as that of gears C and D(but not necessarily same angular velocity as gear B)
angular freq of output F is the same as angular freq of gear E.

now to find the angular freq of gears connected to another gear the trick is that the two gears at the point where they touch have no relative velocity(tangential)

2nafish117 said:
any object that is rigidly connected to each other will have the same angular velocity(but not all of the gears and shafts have the same frequency)
the shaft AB will have the same frequency as that of gear B(because they are rigidly connected).
similarly shaft CD has same angular velocity as that of gears C and D(but not necessarily same angular velocity as gear B)
angular freq of output F is the same as angular freq of gear E.

now to find the angular freq of gears connected to another gear the trick is that the two gears at the point where they touch have no relative velocity(tangential)

In order to find frequency, I took the tangential velocity of shaft AB and set it equal to shaft CD so that (2πfAB)rB = (2πfCD)rC.

Then the 2π cancels out and I'm left with a relationship between just the gear radius and frequency (fAB)rB = (fCD)rC

. Which would mean that shaft AB frequency of 24 Hz results in a shaft CD frequency of 9.8 Hz. Is that correct? No relative tangential velocity means that the tangential velocity of both are equal? If so, why does this method give two different results for the frequency of shaft EF. You said gears C and D have the same angular velocity (meaning same frequency as angular velocity is ω = 2πf) but using this method will give different values of frequency for shaft EF as the radius of C and D are different

(fCD)rC = (fEF)rE

(fCD)rD = (fEF)rE I know this is correct as the gears of D and E make contact but then this means that the frequency of C and D are different, right?

Thank you once again in advance

Reefy said:
In order to find frequency, I took the tangential velocity of shaft AB and set it equal to shaft CD so that (2πfAB)rB = (2πfCD)rC.

Then the 2π cancels out and I'm left with a relationship between just the gear radius and frequency (fAB)rB = (fCD)rC

. Which would mean that shaft AB frequency of 24 Hz results in a shaft CD frequency of 9.8 Hz. Is that correct? No relative tangential velocity means that the tangential velocity of both are equal? If so, why does this method give two different results for the frequency of shaft EF. You said gears C and D have the same angular velocity (meaning same frequency as angular velocity is ω = 2πf) but using this method will give different values of frequency for shaft EF as the radius of C and D are different

(fCD)rC = (fEF)rE

(fCD)rD = (fEF)rE I know this is correct as the gears of D and E make contact but then this means that the frequency of C and D are different, right?

Thank you once again in advance

(fCD)rC = (fEF)rE
is not correct .
this equation tells that the tangential velocity of the gear C(at its edge) is the same as the tangential velocity of gear E(which is not true)

this can be seen by taking an example

consider a disk rotating about its central point(along an axis perpendicular to its plane)
now all points on the disk have the same angular velocity(also same freq)
but they DO NOT have the same velocity at every point.

as you go to the edge of the disk their linear velocity increases(in a linear fashion from v=rω).
main point is the linear velocity of a point depends on how far the point is from the axis of rotation.

so the tangential velocity of the point of gear D which is in contact with gear E, is equal to the tangential velocity of gear E which is in contact with gear D.
this sentence is a bit wordy so ill write it as

(fCD)rD = (fEF)rE (same as what you wrote)

now you can see why

(fCD)rC = (fEF)rE is not correct.

one more point to clarify the tangential velocity of gear C is not equal to tangential velocity of gear D

ie (fCD)rC ≠ (fCD)rD

You are both completely lost - look up 'Gear train calculations'

Nidum said:
aren't our angular freq calculations correct?? it should be shouldn't it??

2nafish117 said:
(fCD)rC = (fEF)rE
is not correct .
this equation tells that the tangential velocity of the gear C(at its edge) is the same as the tangential velocity of gear E(which is not true)

this can be seen by taking an example

consider a disk rotating about its central point(along an axis perpendicular to its plane)
now all points on the disk have the same angular velocity(also same freq)
but they DO NOT have the same velocity at every point.

as you go to the edge of the disk their linear velocity increases(in a linear fashion from v=rω).

main point is the linear velocity of a point depends on how far the point is from the axis of rotation.

so the tangential velocity of the point of gear D which is in contact with gear E, is equal to the tangential velocity of gear E which is in contact with gear D.
this sentence is a bit wordy so ill write it as

(fCD)rD = (fEF)rE (same as what you wrote)

now you can see why

(fCD)rC = (fEF)rE is not correct.

Considering just a single gear, you're saying the tangential velocity is different at every point? How is that possible when ω and r are both constant?

Nidum said:

These only show me calculations when I know the teeth of the gears. In this problem, I don't know the teeth.

Say that the 60 mm gear has N teeth and work out the other gear teeth numbers in terms of N .

The N will cancel in the end anyway - it is only the ratios of the teeth numbers that matter in this problem .

Really it is only the ratios of the PCD's that matter .

Reefy said:
Considering just a single gear, you're saying the tangential velocity is different at every point? How is that possible when ω and r are both constant?
tangential velocity is different at parts which are at different distances from the centre.

What is the relationship between the frequency of gears and the frequency of the shaft?

The frequency of gears is directly proportional to the frequency of the shaft. This means that as the frequency of the shaft increases, the frequency of the gears also increases.

How does changing the frequency of the shaft affect the frequency of the gears?

Changing the frequency of the shaft will also change the frequency of the gears. This is because the gears are connected to the shaft and rotate at the same speed.

What factors can affect the frequency of gears?

The frequency of gears can be affected by the size and number of teeth on the gears, as well as the speed and direction of the shaft's rotation. The material and lubrication of the gears can also impact their frequency.

Can the frequency of gears be increased or decreased?

Yes, the frequency of gears can be increased or decreased by changing the speed and direction of the shaft, as well as by changing the gear ratio. The gear ratio is the ratio of the number of teeth on the larger gear to the number of teeth on the smaller gear.

Why is the frequency of gears important?

The frequency of gears is important because it determines the speed and power of the mechanical system in which they are used. It also affects the efficiency and performance of the gears, and can impact the overall function of the machine or device they are a part of.