Frequency of Light in a Solid

In summary, the speed of light in the transparent solid is 2.18e8 m/s and the frequency of the light remains the same at 4.42e16 Hz.
Mohji

Homework Statement

A light wave has a 678 nm wavelength in air. Its wavelength in a transparent solid is 493 nm.

a) What is the speed of light in this solid?
b) What is the light's frequency in the solid?

Homework Equations

v = λf

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I got the correct answer for this one. Let v1 and λ1 be speed of light and wavelength in air, v2 and λ2 in solid.

v1 = λ1f
f = v1 / λ1
f = (3.00e8 m/s) / (6.78e-9 m)
f = 4.42e16 Hz

v2 = λ2f
v2 = (4.93e-9 m) (4.42e16 Hz)
v2 = 2.18e8 m/s

This is the correct answer.

b) I was under the impression that the frequency of light does not change from one medium to another, meaning it would still be 4.42e16 Hz. This is the principle that I used to solve a). However, the online assignment keeps telling me that the answer is incorrect.

Am I making a mistake here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mohji said:
v1 = λ1f
f = v1 / λ1
f = (3.00e8 m/s) / (6.78e-9 m)
f = 4.42e16 Hz

You made a mistake here, the wavelength 678 nm is 6.78 e-7 m, so your frequency is wrong.

And you are right, the frequency does not change when the light wave enters into an other medium.

ehild

ehild said:
You made a mistake here, the wavelength 678 nm is 6.78 e-7 m, so your frequency is wrong.

And you are right, the frequency does not change when the light wave enters into an other medium.

ehild

D'oh! Always overlook the possibility of something small like a conversion error. Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

1. What is the frequency of light in a solid?

The frequency of light in a solid varies depending on the material it is passing through. Different materials have different atomic structures and thus different energy levels, which can affect the frequency of light passing through them.

2. How does the frequency of light in a solid compare to the frequency of light in a vacuum?

The frequency of light in a solid is generally lower than the frequency of light in a vacuum. This is because the atoms in a solid can absorb and emit light at specific frequencies, causing the light to slow down and decrease in frequency.

3. Can the frequency of light in a solid be changed?

Yes, the frequency of light passing through a solid can be changed by altering the material it is passing through. Different materials have different energy levels and structures which can affect the frequency of light passing through them.

4. How does the frequency of light in a solid affect its color?

The frequency of light in a solid affects its color because different frequencies of light correspond to different colors. When light passes through a solid, certain frequencies may be absorbed or reflected, resulting in a specific color being perceived by the human eye.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the frequency of light in a solid?

Yes, the frequency of light in a solid can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the composition of the material. Changes in these factors can cause the atoms in the solid to vibrate differently, altering the frequency of light passing through it.