1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency of microwaves

1. May 30, 2006 #1
    Sir,
    1)Microwaves are directed normally at a plane metallic reflector. A detector moving along the normal to the reflector travels 15 cm from the first to the 11th successive of minimum intensity. What is the frequency of the microwave?(velocity of microwaves = 3 x 10^8 m/sec)
    I solved it in the following way:
    The incident and the reflected microwaves superimpose to produce standing waves. The distance between the first and the 11th minimum is given that it is 15 cm.
    Therefore,
    0.15 = 10 x (lambda/2)
    Lambda = 0.03 meters
    Frequency = (3 x 10^8)/ 0.03
    = 10^10 Hz
    Is it right?
    2)Two waves of same frequency travel in opposite directions in a medium with amplitudes 3 units and 2 units respectively. What is the ratio of the amplitudes at an antinode and a node in the stationary wave?
    I think it is infinity because at the antinode it has maximum amplitude and at the node it is zero. Is it right?

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This looks good to me. Just a small point however, using standard scientific notation it is better to quote the answer as 1x1010 Hz. However, both are correct.

Are you sure about that? The formal definition of a node is "a point of minimum displacement.", this need not to be zero. The important thing to note is the respective amplitudes, try sketching the two waves in anti-phase on the same graph.

~H

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?