Frequency of Moving Sound Source

In summary, a sound source has frequency 1000Hz and moves at velocity v along a straight line. At time t=0, the source is at its distance of closest approach to the listener. The frequency heard by the listener as a function of time is given byλL= fsv/(v+vscosθ).
whatisreality

Homework Statement

A sound source has frequency 1000Hz and moves at velocity v along a straight line. A person stands a perpendicular distance d away from the line.
At time t=0 the source is at its distance of closest approach to the listener. Express the frequency as heard by the listener as a function of time.

Homework Equations

v=fλ

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't work out how the wavelength is affected! When the source moves directly towards the listener then the listener hears λl = λs±Tsvs. So I have to do something involving angles, but I really don't know what! I think because of the definition of t=0, the ± won't be necessary in my expression, it will take care of itself.
Is the velocity of the wave approaching the listener vscosθ, if θ is the angle between the velocity of the source and a line drawn from source to listener?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the velocity of the wave approaching the listener vscosθ, if θ is the angle between the velocity of the source and a line drawn from source to listener?
No ! The velocity of the wave is the speed of sound ! What you describe is the speed of the source in the direction of the observer. It's a good thing to calculate, though, because you need it in a relevant equation (for the frequency) that you haven't listed yet.
So I have to do something involving angles, but I really don't know what! I think because of the definition of t=0, the ± won't be necessary in my expression, it will take care of itself.
The cosine thing is the right thing to do. And it will indeed deal with the sign in the proper way !
You're as good as there

BvU said:
No ! The velocity of the wave is the speed of sound ! What you describe is the speed of the source in the direction of the observer. It's a good thing to calculate, though, because you need it in a relevant equation (for the frequency) that you haven't listed yet.
The wavelength for the listener then is the wavelength of the source λs+Tsvs where T is the period of the source.
λLs+Ts(vscosθ), rearrange a bit with T=1/f and λ=v/f to get

λL= fsv/(v+vscosθ)
But now how do I get that in terms of time??

Cheack your rearrangements: on the right you have a frequency (which is what is asked for). So on the left you can't have a ##\lambda##.

How to get it in time terms ?
Easy ! you write ##\theta## as a function of time !

Is cosθ = d/vt then? And my expression should be

v/fL=fsv/(v+vscosθ)

So fL = (v+vscosθ) / fs ?

If that's right, then I had the wrong theta in mind!

You defined ##\theta## in post #1. d/(vt) is not the cosine, but the ..., so you are getting closer.

And it hurts me to see things like
whatisreality said:
v/fL=fsv/(v+vscosθ)
please please recheck you re-rearrangements.

And: why not work with ##f = {c-v_s\over c} \; f_0 ## like they do here ?

Your equation ##\lambda_l = \lambda_s - Tv_s## is easily rewritten using your ##v = \lambda f## to $$
{c\over f} = {c\over f_0} - {v_s\over f_0}\ \Rightarrow\quad {f_0\over f} = {c - v_s\over c} \ \Rightarrow\quad f = {c-v_s\over c} \; f_0
$$

[edit, days later (!)] which of course should be
$$
{c\over f} = {c\over f_0} - {v_s\over f_0}\ \Rightarrow\quad {f_0\over f} = {c - v_s\over c} \ \Rightarrow\quad f = {c\over c-v_s} \; f_0
$$I went a little too fast and looked too much at the first-order approximation in Wiki.
And vs is positive if the source is moving towards the listener. (See post #12).
My apologies
:oops: Someone should have put me right !
where I already put in the right sign for ##v_s## (but you have to check !)

Finishing touch: the link reminds me that ##f## is not equal to ##f_0## at t=0, but a little later. How much later ?

Last edited:
whatisreality said:
λLs+Ts(vscosθ), rearrange a bit with T=1/f and λ=v/f to get

λL= fsv/(v+vscosθ)
I do have a frequency on the right there, but it isn't the one the question asks for...
As to checking my re-arrangement, I'm not surprised that hurts. What a weird way to rearrange. I think
λL=(v+vscosθ)/fs

So
v/fL=(v+vcosθ)/fs

fL= vfs/(v+vscosθ)

But I'm not particularly sure I trust my algebra anymore. My expression for cosθ is actually an expression for sinθ, but that's because I thought t canceled in the expression for cosθ, which I think is vst/vt?

Thank you for being patient and helping, I'm not sure why this is so confusing to me!

Last edited:
I suppose cosθ could be expressed like this instead
vst/√(vs2t2+d2

As for the negative, my sign has been wrong from the start then! Going back to
λl = λs±Tsvs, I want a negative sign when t is negative, and a positive sign when t is positive, don't I?

Last edited:
##\cos\theta## in post #9 looks good. Easiest to follow with a drawing (xy, d on y-axis). Starts at -1, increases to 0 where it changes sign ( "automatically" ) and keeps increasing to +1. So you see how to draw ##\theta## and which way it is oriented (I had to look several times too... depends on if you take d<0 or d>0 -- the answer for the frequency that the observer hears should not).

Don't forget to reconstruct f when you are done. The exercise asks for a frequency, not a wavelength :)
And you can always reverse-engineer the sign so ##f > f_0## for t < 0 and vice versa ;)

So the expression
fL= vfs/(v-vscosθ) can be in terms of time if I substitute for cosθ.
Just considering the denominator for now,
v-vscosθ = v-vs√(vst2+d2)

Find a common denominator
v√(vst2+d2) - vs2t /√(vst2+d2)

Then subbing that back in
fL= vfs√(vst2+d2) / v√(vst2+d2) - (vs)2t

Last edited:
Aren't you making life difficult ? In the first one I miss a square (v-vs2√...) , in the second I miss the brackets around the numerator and in the and third I miss the brackets around the denominator. Under all squrate roots I miss brackets around vst.
(Perhaps it's just a typing or formatting issue ? but it's confusing to me...) Fix that and the expressions are correct, but instead of with one square root you end up with two.Now we come to the sign. For t<0 we expect fl > fs.

Top picture is for t<0.
We want ##v - v_s\cos\theta < v ## for t < 0 so we should write ##v + v_s {v_s t \over \sqrt{v_s^2t^2 + d^2}}## in the denominator !

upload_2015-2-8_15-15-52.png

Check with lower picture for t > 0 : we try to have one single expression, so we hang on to ##\cos\theta = - {v_s t \over \sqrt{v_s^2t^2 + d^2}}##. But the angle we want is ## \pi -\theta ## which has the same cosine, but with opposite sign. On the other hand, we want vs negatve, because the source is moving away from the listener.

So our (awkward?) pick for theta makes that we can use ##v_s \cos\theta = - v_s\; {v_s t \over \sqrt{v_s^2t^2 + d^2}}## once again !

Conclusion: the same denominator works for T > 0 as well.
In other words: a plus sign in the denominator of your last expression.

On other detail: dividing by v (sound velocity) is sensible: vs/v = M, the (dimensionless) Mach number. You could even do it twice and get$$f_l = f_s \;{ 1\over {1+M \;{ t \over \sqrt{t^2+d^2/M^2} } } }
$$Since you can never do too much checking: for t << 0 that gives ##{1\over 1- M}## and for t >> 0 you find ##{1\over 1 + M}## for the frequency ratio ##f_l/f_s##.

Lovely !

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-8_15-15-5.png
    upload_2015-2-8_15-15-5.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 422

1. What is the frequency of a moving source?

The frequency of a moving source refers to the rate at which the source moves towards or away from a stationary observer. It is commonly measured in units of Hertz (Hz) or cycles per second.

2. How does the frequency of a moving source affect the observed frequency?

The frequency of a moving source affects the observed frequency through the Doppler effect. When a source is moving towards an observer, the observed frequency will be higher than the emitted frequency. Conversely, when a source is moving away from an observer, the observed frequency will be lower than the emitted frequency.

3. Can the frequency of a moving source change over time?

Yes, the frequency of a moving source can change over time. This is due to the relative motion between the source and the observer, as well as any changes in the velocity of the source.

4. What is the formula for calculating the observed frequency of a moving source?

The formula for calculating the observed frequency of a moving source is fobs = fem x (v ± vobs) / (v ± vs), where fobs is the observed frequency, fem is the emitted frequency, v is the speed of sound, vobs is the velocity of the observer, and vs is the velocity of the source.

5. How is the frequency of a moving source used in real life?

The frequency of a moving source has various applications in real life, such as in radar and sonar systems, where it is used to determine the velocity of moving objects. It is also used in astronomy to study the motion of stars and galaxies, and in medical imaging techniques like Doppler ultrasound to measure blood flow in the body.