1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency of oscillation

1. Jun 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    0.54 kg mass hang vertically from a spring with k= 75 Nm. If the mass is displaced 3 cm vertically and allowed to oscillate, what is the frequency of oscillation?

2. Relevant equations
    T= 2(pi) ((sqrt)(m/K))
    F= 1/T

3. The attempt at a solution
    T= 2(pi) ((sqrt)(0.54/75))
    = 0.5331
    F= 1/0.5331
    = 1.9 Hz
    Now I know I didnt use the displacement, but where would I use it? This was a multiple choice question, and 1.9 Hz is an option.... I just dont know if its right

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

I don't see any reason the initial displacement would affect the frequency of oscillation. Do you?

4. Jun 12, 2015 #3
    Thats kinda what im asking...
    if the displacement were greater or smaller of the mass, would it change the frequency of oscillation? And if it does, how?

5. Jun 13, 2015 #4
    Larger displacement mean larger force, larger acceleration and, finally, the same time. For this reason called 'harmonic'.

6. Jun 14, 2015 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, unless Hooke's law were to no longer apply at large displacements, in which case you'd have a nonlinear problem on your hands and believe me you want nothing to do with that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted