What frequencies does a permanent magnet emit?

In summary: If you have two magnets close to each other, they will generate a magnetic field because the electric fields will trying to cancel each other out. The magnetic field will be strongest near the magnets.
Tord Bjornson
Hello all,

I am a newbie here but have a question that I was hoping someone could answer. Would a permanent magnet give off a single frequency or would it give off a spectrum of frequencies, like an incadescent light bulb can give off a spectrum of frequencies? I can measure the intensity of a permanent magnet using a standard magnetometer, like on my Iphone and get a an intensity of, let's say 1000 uT, but I am curious as to what frequency this corresponds to in terms of Hz. Or is the magnetic field given off by the magnet not even a part of the EM spectrum?

Thanks for any insight into this question,

Tord

Physics news on Phys.org
It corresponds to no frequency. A Tesla is a measure of magnetic field strength. Frequencies are a measure of something regularly changing in time.

Like you guess, the magnetic field given off by a permanent magnet is not part of the EM spectrum. Its not an electromagnetic wave.

Thanks for the information. So if it is not a part of the EM spectrum, what is being measured when you measure the intensity? Is there a magneton, something like the equivalent of a photon?

Also, with respect to your comment of how frequencies are a measure of something regularly changing in time, when you turn on a light bulb, what is the time that is measured? Is it the time that the photons take to oscillate through space as it propagates from the source?

Also, when they say that the Earth's magnetic field has a frequency of between 900 hz and 4.3 khz, what are the measuring?

Sorry if these questions seem very basic, I am a scientist (PhD in biochemistry and molecular biology), but I am not familiar with physics other than what I learned in university a while ago.

Thanks for all of your help,

Tord

Tord Bjornson said:
Also, with respect to your comment of how frequencies are a measure of something regularly changing in time, when you turn on a light bulb, what is the time that is measured? Is it the time that the photons take to oscillate through space as it propagates from the source?

Your question is not clear. When I turn on a light bulb, it comes on or it does not. What time should it measure? It is a light bulb, not a clock.

Are you sure you understand the concept of 'frequency'? Frequency measures how often something repeats in a given amount of time. For example, the frequency of the rotation of the Earth is once per day.

Tord Bjornson said:

There are two frequencies I can think of that are associated with a light bulb. One is the frequency of the electricity that is powering it. The A/C current has a frequency because it changes regularly in time. The other is the frequency of the electromagnetic waves it emits (forget photons, we don't need a quantum description for this). Different light bulbs put out em waves of different frequencies. The frequency of the electricity powering the light bulb is not explicitly connected to the frequency of the emitted em waves.

Also, when they say that the Earth's magnetic field has a frequency of between 900 hz and 4.3 khz, what are the measuring?

I guess that they are measuring the change in the magnetic field strength.

So that I am clear, the magnetic field of a permanent magnet are not caused by an energy wave, because it does not have a frequency. So what is causing the magnetic field? If it isn't a particle and isn't an energy wave, what is the force that is causing the attraction or repulsion between two permanent magnets?

A static magnet does not have a frequency in the same way an object lying on the floor does not have a frequency (it does not oscillate).

To have a frequency, you need some oscillation of the field - you can rotate the magnet, for example. The frequency will be the rotation frequency then.

Also, when they say that the Earth's magnetic field has a frequency of between 900 hz and 4.3 khz
Who says that?

Tord Bjornson said:
So that I am clear, the magnetic field of a permanent magnet are not caused by an energy wave, because it does not have a frequency. So what is causing the magnetic field? If it isn't a particle and isn't an energy wave, what is the force that is causing the attraction or repulsion between two permanent magnets?

A magnetic field is "caused" by a magnetic moment. This is similar to the way that the electric field is "caused" by a charge or the gravitational field is "caused" by mass/energy.

Be careful with the meanings of the words "energy" and "force", these have very specific meanings in physics. When you say this "If it isn't a particle and isn't an energy wave, what is the force that is causing the attraction or repulsion between two permanent magnets?", the question at the end of your sentence stands on its own. It is not entailed by the "if" clause at the beginning of your sentence. The force is the Lorentz force. Thats the name of it. The physics behind the attraction and repulsion of magnets is complicated. It generally has to do with the alignment of small dipoles in the material.

Likes 1 person
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proton_magnetometer

I guess I confused NMR with the frequency of a magnetic field. Thanks for helping clear that up for me. I'm still not clear on what is actually causing the magnetic attraction between two magnets. From what I have read (and I am probably wrong), it looks like magnetic fields can interact with the nuclei of atoms like protons and cause radio waves (basis of MRI), and they can also interact with matter like magnetite in permanent magnets (two physical magnets attract or repel), and they can also obvious interact with electrons (generation of electricity), but I can't seem to find a good explanation as to what the force is that is mediating these effects. Can anyone help explain this to me?

Thanks!

This might help a bit.
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/magnetic/magforcon.html#c1
Click around and find topics on magnetism.

Know that there are two different kinds of magnetic moments. One is from charges in motion. This is what is usually taught first in physics. A single electron sets up an electric field. Put that electron in motion and you have a magnetic field as well. Get a slew of electrons going in a circle and you have a current loop and you have a magnetic moment. This phenomenon takes place in an electromagnet (often with the help of a little magnetic material).

The other kind of magnetic moment is intrinsic to particles. Its a basic property, meaning that no "cause" or "reason" is attributed to it (rather than speculation and hypothesizing of course). Some particles have a magnetic moment. This is called spin. In an NMR and in magnetic materials this type of magnetic moment is generally at play. An NMR lines up the magnetic moments of the particles in atomic nuclei. Then it measures how long it takes for them to drift back.

Your question of what causes the attraction and repulsion between magnets is easily answered. It is the magnetic component of the electromagnetic force. The force coming from a permanent magnet is caused by the magnetic moments of the atoms adding up to be felt on a macroscopic scale.

What is the definition of frequency of permanent magnet?

The frequency of a permanent magnet refers to the number of times the magnet's magnetic field oscillates per unit of time. It is measured in hertz (Hz) and is dependent on the strength of the magnet and the distance from the magnet.

How does the frequency of a permanent magnet affect its strength?

The frequency of a permanent magnet has a direct correlation with its strength. As the frequency increases, the magnetic field becomes stronger, and as the frequency decreases, the magnetic field weakens.

What factors can influence the frequency of a permanent magnet?

The frequency of a permanent magnet can be influenced by several factors, including the strength of the magnet, the distance from the magnet, and the material the magnet is made of. Additionally, external magnetic fields and temperature can also affect the frequency of a permanent magnet.

Can the frequency of a permanent magnet be changed?

Yes, the frequency of a permanent magnet can be changed by altering the strength of the magnet, changing the distance from the magnet, or adjusting external factors such as temperature. However, the frequency of a permanent magnet is primarily determined by its physical properties and cannot be changed significantly.

What are some practical applications of the frequency of permanent magnets?

The frequency of permanent magnets has various practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and speakers. It is also used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, and in research for particle accelerators. Additionally, the frequency of permanent magnets is critical in the development of renewable energy sources, such as wind turbines and hydroelectric generators.