What is the frequency of the wave reflected by the fish?

In summary, the question asks for the frequency of the sonar wave reflected by the school of fish, which is the same as the frequency received by the fish. The formula for this is ((v+u)/v) x f, where v is the velocity of the sonar wave in water, u is the velocity of the fish, and f is the emitted frequency. The sample answer provides the frequency of the reflected wave as heard by an observer on the stationary boat, after the reflection by the fish acting as the sound source.
somecelxis

Homework Statement

A stationary boat emits a sonar wave of frequency f to a school of fish which is moving a velocity u towards the boat. The sonar wave is then reflected by the school of fish. If v is the velocity of the sonar wave in water, the frequency of the wave reflected by the fish is

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My ans is same as the working (first part) . I can't understand with the 2nd part . in my opinion, the frequency reflected by the fish is same as the frequency received by the fish . my ans is (( v+u)/ v ) x f . why ? is my concept wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_20140804_122855[1].jpg
    IMG_20140804_122855[1].jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
somecelxis said:

Homework Statement

A stationary boat emits a sonar wave of frequency f to a school of fish which is moving a velocity u towards the boat. The sonar wave is then reflected by the school of fish. If v is the velocity of the sonar wave in water, the frequency of the wave reflected by the fish is

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My ans is same as the working (first part) . I can't understand with the 2nd part . in my opinion, the frequency reflected by the fish is same as the frequency received by the fish . my ans is (( v+u)/ v ) x f . why ? is my concept wrong?
Is it asking for the frequency of the reflected wave as sensed by the fish (or equivalently, by an observer moving with the same velocity as the fish)? Or is it asking for the frequency of the reflected wave as sensed by a stationary observer?

SammyS said:
Is it asking for the frequency of the reflected wave as sensed by the fish (or equivalently, by an observer moving with the same velocity as the fish)? Or is it asking for the frequency of the reflected wave as sensed by a stationary observer?

hi , the question ask for the frequncy reflected by the school of fish am i right? now the fish act as the sound source... and the frequncy of the sound reflected by the fish = freuqency received by the fish . so i have (( v+u)/ v ) x f ... this is the whole question.

the sample ans is giving the frequncy of the sound heard by the observer on the boat after the reflection by the fish(source) ?am i right?

1. What is the definition of frequency of reflected wave?

The frequency of a reflected wave is the number of complete oscillations or cycles per second that occur as the wave bounces back from a boundary.

2. How is the frequency of a reflected wave related to the frequency of the incident wave?

The frequency of a reflected wave is equal to the frequency of the incident wave. This means that the number of cycles or oscillations per second remains the same before and after reflection.

3. What factors can affect the frequency of reflected waves?

The frequency of a reflected wave can be affected by the material properties of the boundary, such as its density and elasticity, as well as the angle of incidence and the speed of the incident wave.

4. Can the frequency of a reflected wave be higher or lower than the frequency of the incident wave?

In most cases, the frequency of a reflected wave will be the same as the frequency of the incident wave. However, in certain situations where there are changes in the medium, the frequency of the reflected wave can be higher or lower than the incident wave.

5. How does the frequency of a reflected wave affect the perception of sound or light?

The frequency of a reflected wave can affect the perception of sound or light by altering the pitch or color. For example, a higher frequency reflected wave may be perceived as a higher pitch sound or a bluer color of light.