What is the relationship between rest energy and frequency in quantum mechanics?

In summary: Meanwhile, the group velocity is the speed of all the particles in a particular collection, and is always greater than c. More information at Wikipedia.Sounds like it. In fact, the Wikipedia article I mentioned above links to this one, where we learn that the phase velocity of a massive particle always exceeds the speed of light c: "The superluminal phase velocity does not violate special relativity, for it doesn't carry any information."
LarryS
Gold Member
In QM, the energy of a particle with a non-zero rest mass is Planck's constant times the frequency. How does the energy associated with the rest mass m0c2 fit into this picture? Planck wrote of an "instrinsic frequency" associated with the rest mass. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
referframe said:
In QM, the energy of a particle with a non-zero rest mass is Planck's constant times the frequency. How does the energy associated with the rest mass m0c2 fit into this picture?...

Well, setting
[tex]mc^2 = h\nu,[/tex]
we can express the frequency in terms of the mass:
[tex]\nu = \frac{mc^2}{h},[/tex]
which was first proposed by Louis de Broglie in 1924. Actually, de Broglie derived
[tex]\nu = \frac{\gamma mc^2}{h} = \frac{mc^2}{h\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}},[/tex]
which reduces to the previous expression for [tex]v = 0[/tex]. More information at Wikipedia.

daschaich said:
Well, setting
[tex]mc^2 = h\nu,[/tex]
we can express the frequency in terms of the mass:
[tex]\nu = \frac{mc^2}{h},[/tex]
which was first proposed by Louis de Broglie in 1924. Actually, de Broglie derived
[tex]\nu = \frac{\gamma mc^2}{h} = \frac{mc^2}{h\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}},[/tex]
which reduces to the previous expression for [tex]v = 0[/tex]. More information at Wikipedia.

I guess I'm still a little bit confused. So, a particle with a rest mass (m0>0) which is at rest (v = 0) has a non-zero frequency and a non-zero wave length and therefore has a phase velocity while the particle is at rest...?

referframe said:
I guess I'm still a little bit confused. So, a particle with a rest mass (m0>0) which is at rest (v = 0) has a non-zero frequency and a non-zero wave length and therefore has a phase velocity while the particle is at rest...?

Sounds like it. In fact, the Wikipedia article I mentioned above links to this one, where we learn that the phase velocity of a massive particle always exceeds the speed of light c: "The superluminal phase velocity does not violate special relativity, for it doesn't carry any information."

The article goes on to contrast the phase velocity with the group velocity and the particle velocity. The particle velocity of a massive particle must be less than c, and is what vanishes for a particle at rest.

1. What is rest energy?

Rest energy is the energy that an object possesses when it is at rest. It is also known as the intrinsic energy of an object.

2. What is the relationship between mass and rest energy?

The relationship between mass and rest energy is given by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. This means that the rest energy of an object is equal to its mass multiplied by the speed of light squared.

3. How is rest energy calculated?

Rest energy can be calculated using the formula E=mc^2, where E is the rest energy, m is the mass of the object, and c is the speed of light.

4. What is the significance of rest energy in physics?

Rest energy is significant in physics because it is a fundamental concept in understanding the relationship between mass and energy. It also plays a crucial role in theories like relativity and quantum mechanics.

5. Can rest energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, rest energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy or thermal energy. This is known as mass-energy equivalence, as described by Einstein's equation.