1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency of sound wave

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"Estimate the highest possible frequency (in Hertz) and the smallest possible wavelength, of a sound wave in aluminium due to the discrete atomic structure of this material. The mass density, Young's modulus, and atomic weight of aluminium are 2.7x103kg m-3, 6x1010 N m-2, and 27 respectively.

2. Relevant equations

Second partial of Ψ(x,t) WRT t = second partial of Ψ(x,t) WRT x multiplied by (Young's modulus / mass density)

3. The attempt at a solution

Assuming the mode will follow the form

Ψ(x,t) = Acos(kx)cos(ωt - φ)

then the second partial WRT t will be

Ψ''(x,t) = -ω2Acos(kx)cos(ωt - φ)

and the second partial WRT x will be

Ψ''(x,t) = -k2Acos(kx)cos(ωt - φ)

Plugging into wave equation I get

2Acos(kx)cos(ωt - φ) = -c2k2Acos(kx)cos(ωt - φ)

--> ω2 = κ2(Y/ρ)

--> ω = k(Y/ρ)1/2

--> [tex]2\pi f[/tex] = k(Y/ρ)1/2

--> f = [tex]\frac{k}{2\pi}[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{\frac{Y}{\rho}}[/tex]

Have no clue where to go from here. This may not even be the way to go about doing it. I guess I technically have the Young's modulus and mass density for the problem but I do not know how to calculate k, and don't understand how this system could vary in frequency to find the highest possible one. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. (Sorry, that I suck a latex btw)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Highest frequency is shortest wavelength. Can the wavelength be shorter than the interatomic distance?

4. Oct 15, 2009 #3
    Whoops, forgot to reply. Yes, thank you, I understand where I was going wrong now, it was much simpler than I tried to make out to be. Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook