Frequency of sound wave

Homework Statement

"Estimate the highest possible frequency (in Hertz) and the smallest possible wavelength, of a sound wave in aluminium due to the discrete atomic structure of this material. The mass density, Young's modulus, and atomic weight of aluminium are 2.7x103kg m-3, 6x1010 N m-2, and 27 respectively.

Homework Equations

Second partial of Ψ(x,t) WRT t = second partial of Ψ(x,t) WRT x multiplied by (Young's modulus / mass density)

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming the mode will follow the form

Ψ(x,t) = Acos(kx)cos(ωt - φ)

then the second partial WRT t will be

Ψ''(x,t) = -ω2Acos(kx)cos(ωt - φ)

and the second partial WRT x will be

Ψ''(x,t) = -k2Acos(kx)cos(ωt - φ)

Plugging into wave equation I get

2Acos(kx)cos(ωt - φ) = -c2k2Acos(kx)cos(ωt - φ)

--> ω2 = κ2(Y/ρ)

--> ω = k(Y/ρ)1/2

--> [tex]2\pi f[/tex] = k(Y/ρ)1/2

--> f = [tex]\frac{k}{2\pi}[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{\frac{Y}{\rho}}[/tex]

Have no clue where to go from here. This may not even be the way to go about doing it. I guess I technically have the Young's modulus and mass density for the problem but I do not know how to calculate k, and don't understand how this system could vary in frequency to find the highest possible one. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. (Sorry, that I suck a latex btw)

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

kuruman
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Highest frequency is shortest wavelength. Can the wavelength be shorter than the interatomic distance?

Highest frequency is shortest wavelength. Can the wavelength be shorter than the interatomic distance?

Whoops, forgot to reply. Yes, thank you, I understand where I was going wrong now, it was much simpler than I tried to make out to be. Thanks again!