1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency of vibration for non-uniform membrane - Partial Differential Equations

1. Jul 8, 2010 #1
    Frequency of vibration for non-uniform membrane -- Partial Differential Equations

Hi guys, i'm having a lot of trouble with a conceptual problem in my PDE's homework. I don't think the answer involves alot of work, I think I'm just not understanding something...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the 2-D wave equation with c (speed) being non-uniform across the membrane (whose shape is arbitrary). That is it is a function of x and y => c = c(x,y).

what is the frequency of vibration associated with each eigenvalue??

2. Relevant equations

2-d wave equation

3. The attempt at a solution

I've shown in a previous part of the question that after you separate out the time dependence of the solution, you're left with a 2-d spatial sturm-liouville problem of this form:

[tex]\nabla[/tex]2u(x,y) + [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{(c(x,y))^2}[/tex]u(x,y) = 0

where u(x,y) is the vertical displacement of the membrane at (x,y).

This PDE isn't seperable so I really don't think it's asking me to solve it to find the frequencies. It wants the nth frequency in terms of the nth eigenvalue lambda. I know that if it were uniform, the frequency should be c*[tex]\sqrt{\lambda}[/tex], but i doubt that's the case for spatially varying c... right? I really feel like i can't connect the dots on this one...

thanks for any suggestions you can offer!!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted