1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency of Vibration?

1. Oct 19, 2008 #1
    A string of length 0.29 m is fixed at both ends. The string is plucked and a standing wave is set up that is vibrating at its second harmonic. The traveling waves that make up the standing wave have a speed of 115 m/s. What is the frequency of vibration?

I tried: 2f1=1(115m/s/2*0.29) then 2f1= 198.3 and I have both multiplied the answer by 2 and divided and both answers are wrong. The second harmonic is really throwing me for a loop. I am also confused about the n in the equation. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2008 #2

Gold Member

If you are unsure about the formula, how about trying this approach: Try drawing what the second harmonic looks like, and then determine what the wavelength of the wave is in relation to the length of the string. See if you can work from there.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?