Frequency of X-Rays: Calculate from Wavelength to GHz

• Thread starter sphys4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the speed of an X-ray is 3E8 m/s and its wavelength is 0.126 nm. To find its frequency, we use the equation wavelength x frequency = speed and solve for frequency. Converting to GHz, we get a frequency of 7.94 GHz.
sphys4

Homework Statement

X-rays are electromagnetic waves with very short wavelengths. Suppose an X-ray has an wavelength of 0.126 nm. What is its frequency?

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried (1)/(1.26E-10)=7936507937, which is in Hz, but they want it to GHz, so i converted it and got 7.94 GHz but it's incorrect? Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wavelength is not the inverse of frequency.

wavelength x frequency = speed

Chi Meson said:
Wavelength is not the inverse of frequency.

wavelength x frequency = speed

So what is the speed? Is it the constant c, 3E8? And will using that give me my answer in Hz?

yes its c, all EM radiations have speed c

Your calculation is correct, but you may have made a mistake in converting from Hz to GHz. Remember that 1 GHz = 1,000,000,000 Hz, so the correct answer would be 7.94 x 10^9 GHz. Make sure to double check your conversions to ensure accuracy.

1. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency of X-rays?

The frequency of X-rays is inversely proportional to the wavelength. This means that as the wavelength decreases, the frequency increases and vice versa.

2. How do I calculate the frequency of X-rays from its wavelength?

You can calculate the frequency of X-rays by dividing the speed of light (3 x 10^8 m/s) by the wavelength in meters. The resulting frequency will be in Hertz (Hz).

3. Can the frequency of X-rays be expressed in other units?

Yes, the frequency of X-rays can also be expressed in kilohertz (kHz), megahertz (MHz), gigahertz (GHz), or terahertz (THz). These units are commonly used in different fields of science and technology.

4. What is the frequency range of X-rays?

The frequency range of X-rays is between 3 x 10^16 Hz to 3 x 10^19 Hz. This corresponds to wavelengths between 10 nanometers (nm) to 0.01 nm.

5. Why is it important to know the frequency of X-rays?

Knowing the frequency of X-rays is important for various reasons. It helps scientists and researchers understand the properties and behavior of X-rays, which is essential for their use in medical imaging, material analysis, and other applications. Additionally, the frequency of X-rays can also provide insights into the structure and composition of matter.