What is the speed of water waves if they travel 4 meters in 2 seconds?

In summary: Glad I could help :)In summary, a loudspeaker vibrating at a frequency of 256 Hz produces 256 waves per second. To calculate the number of waves in one minute, this number can be multiplied by 60. When a stone is dropped into a pond, the water waves travel at a speed of 2 m/s, which can be determined by using the definition of speed.
iamamn
Right, I am new here and i am really stuck on my homework.
Wandering if you could help me :D lol
anyways,

a loudspeaker vibrates at a frequency of 256 herts to produce a note we call middle c.
(a) how many waves does it produce in one second
(b) how many waves does it produce in 1 minute.?

and also ...

when a stone is dropped into a pond the watr waves spread out and travel a distance of 4 meters in 2 seconds. what is the speed of these waves?

i know they might be simple to you, but i haven't been taught how to do these ...
I got taught how to find out freqency and period, but i just can't figure out how to do these

YOUR HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED :D
xo

Physics news on Phys.org
iamamn said:
Right, I am new here and i am really stuck on my homework.
Wandering if you could help me :D lol
anyways,

a loudspeaker vibrates at a frequency of 256 herts to produce a note we call middle c.
(a) how many waves does it produce in one second
(b) how many waves does it produce in 1 minute.?

and also ...

when a stone is dropped into a pond the watr waves spread out and travel a distance of 4 meters in 2 seconds. what is the speed of these waves?

i know they might be simple to you, but i haven't been taught how to do these ...
I got taught how to find out freqency and period, but i just can't figure out how to do these

YOUR HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED :D
xo
Welcome to PF iamamn,

Firstly, please don't write in large bold font, it makes your post difficult to read. Secondly, we have Homework Forums for dedicated homework assistance (but don't worry, a mentor will move it there shortly). And thirdly, when requesting homework help you are expected to show an attempted solution or at least outline your thoughts on the problem.

However, since you're new we'll let you off :wink:.

Can you tell me the definition of frequency, or more specifically one Hertz?

OK. :D
Well the examples we got in school were:

if a wave has a frwency of 50Hz - whatt's its period?
and i came up with:

T = ?
F = 50hz
T=1/F
T = 1/50 = 0.02s

and if a wave has a period of 5z - what's its frquency?

F = ?
T = 5s
F = 1/T
F = 1/5 = 0.20 Hz

and frequency is the number of waves produced per second by the wave source. and measured in seconds.

I just can't figure it ot really ...

buut for the loudspeaker one is it 256hz for 1 second? and then for (b) times it by 60?

iamamn said:
and frequency is the number of waves produced per second by the wave source. and measured in seconds.

I just can't figure it ot really ...

buut for the loudspeaker one is it 256hz for 1 second? and then for (b) times it by 60?
Correct. The frequency is simply the number of oscillations (or waves produced) per unit time. So a wave-source oscillating at 256 Hertz produces 256 waves per second. And of course one simply multiplies this number by 60 to obtain the number of waves per minute.

AH! So simple really. i can't believe i couldn't get that :D.

So for the other question,

when the stone is dropped ...

Do i use the frequency solution to find that out? but if i do it doesn't really work out if its asking for speed of the waves.

would the anwser be 2 meters per second? by simply just "halfing" it? to get the number of waves per second?

iamamn said:
AH! So simple really. i can't believe i couldn't get that :D.

So for the other question,

when the stone is dropped ...

Do i use the frequency solution to find that out? but if i do it doesn't really work out if its asking for speed of the waves.

would the anwser be 2 meters per second? by simply just "halfing" it? to get the number of waves per second?
No, for the next question you don't use the frequency method, but the solution is just as simple. Think about the definition of speed.

Would the anwser be 2 m/s ?

:S

iamamn said:
Would the anwser be 2 m/s ?

:S
Indeed it would :approve:

Well thank you very much Hootenanny :D
You have been a very big help to my homework and my knowledge :D
THANK YOU xo

iamamn said:
Well thank you very much Hootenanny :D
You have been a very big help to my homework and my knowledge :D
THANK YOU xo
It was a pleasure.

1. What is frequency?

Frequency is the number of times a wave oscillates or repeats in one second. It is measured in Hertz (Hz).

2. What is the relationship between frequency and period?

Frequency and period are inversely related. The period is the time it takes for one complete wave cycle, while frequency is the number of cycles per second. This means that as frequency increases, the period decreases, and vice versa.

3. How are waves classified based on frequency?

Waves can be classified into three categories based on frequency: low frequency (long wavelength), medium frequency (medium wavelength), and high frequency (short wavelength). Low frequency waves include radio waves, while high frequency waves include gamma rays.

4. How does frequency affect the energy of a wave?

The higher the frequency of a wave, the higher its energy. This is because the frequency is directly proportional to the wave's energy. High frequency waves have shorter wavelengths and more waves per second, resulting in more energy.

5. How is frequency measured?

Frequency can be measured using different instruments, depending on the type of wave. For electromagnetic waves, frequency can be measured using a spectrometer. For sound waves, frequency can be measured using an oscilloscope or a microphone connected to a computer. For mechanical waves, frequency can be measured using a stopwatch and ruler to measure the period of the wave.