1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency problem

1. Dec 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a quartz oscillator, used as a stable clock in electronic devices, a transverse (shear) standing sound wave is excited across the thickness d of a quartz disk and its frequency f is detected electronically. The parallel faces of the disk are unsupported and so behave as "free ends" when the sound wave reflects from them as shown in the figure.

If the oscillator is designed to operate with the first harmonic, determine the required disk thickness if 88.0 MHz. The density and shear modulus of quartz are rho = 2650 kg/m^3 and G = 2.95 *10^10 N/m^2.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not even sure where to start with this. I tried looking in the section the question came from in the book, but I couldn't find anything about mediums other than air, let alone using a shear modulus. In the table provided, the speed of sound in quartz wasn't listed, so I assume I don't need to bother figuring that out. I'm not really certain where the shear modulus and density come into play either.

(edit:) I tried [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]=[(3.7km/s)(1000)]/88000000Hz[/tex] (3.7km/s is the speed of sound in quartz according to google) and divided that by 2 to get [tex]l[/tex], but that's apparently not the correct answer...

Please help, thanks!
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

4. Dec 10, 2009 #3
    Ahhh, thank you so much! That simplifies things a lot.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook