How to Simplify a Frequency Response Circuit for Impedance Calculation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of source transformation in simplifying a circuit and the effects of series resistance on a current source. It is determined that the series resistor can be removed without altering the circuit's operation. One participant also asks about the presence of a second resistor in the circuit, which is deemed unnecessary and can be ignored.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-10-11 at 7.57.38 PM.png

Homework Equations

V=IR
H(w) = Y/F = Impedance of circuit

The Attempt at a Solution

I wanted to simplify this circuit before I find any impedance, but I am not sure if I did my source transformation correctly. Can i combine the f(t) current source with the 1ohm in parallel even though there is another resistor in series with it? Or are my steps correct?

New Doc 30_1.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
A resistor (or any passive component) in series with a current source has no effect outside of altering the potential differences on components within the current source branch. The branch will still deliver the current source's specified current with or without series resistance in the way; the current source will just alter its own potential difference to compensate and maintain the current.

What this means is that you can remove that series resistor entirely without making any change to the way the rest of the circuit operates.

gneill said:
What this means is that you can remove that series resistor entirely without making any change to the way the rest of the circuit operates.

So do I just ignore that resistor from the start or do I have to include it like I did in my source transformation?

Marcin H said:
So do I just ignore that resistor from the start or do I have to include it like I did in my source transformation?
Remove it. Erase it. Obliterate it. Pretend it never exited :smile::biggrin:

Likes Marcin H
gneill said:
Remove it. Erase it. Obliterate it. Pretend it never exited :smile::biggrin:
Lol.. Thanks! :smile:

How did your second 1 ohm reisstor wind up in series with the L-C network?

1. What is a frequency response circuit?

A frequency response circuit is an electronic circuit that measures and displays the response of a system to varying frequencies of input signals. It is used to analyze the frequency characteristics of a system, such as amplifiers, filters, and other electronic devices.

2. How does a frequency response circuit work?

A frequency response circuit works by applying a range of input signals with different frequencies to the system and measuring the output response. The output response is then plotted on a graph to show how the system responds to different frequencies.

3. What are the key components of a frequency response circuit?

The key components of a frequency response circuit include a signal generator, an input and output interface, and a display or measurement device. The signal generator produces the input signals, while the interface connects the circuit to the system being measured. The display or measurement device shows the response of the system to the input signals.

4. What is the purpose of using a frequency response circuit?

The purpose of using a frequency response circuit is to understand the behavior of a system at different frequencies. It helps in designing and testing electronic systems, identifying any issues or limitations, and optimizing their performance.

5. How is the frequency response of a circuit represented graphically?

The frequency response of a circuit is typically represented graphically using a Bode plot. This plot shows the magnitude and phase of the output response as a function of frequency. The magnitude is represented on a logarithmic scale, while the frequency is shown on a linear scale.