1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency response: Find H(s) for a circuit w/ 2 res. - 2 Inductors and an I - source

1. Apr 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For the circuit below, find H(s) = [tex]\frac{I_0(s)}{I_S(s)}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Inductor in the s-domain: [itex]j\omega[/itex](Inductor Value)

3. The attempt at a solution

I made a new circuit diagram for the s-domain:

[tex]i_1\,=\,\frac{V_1}{1\Omega}[/tex] [tex]i_2\,=\,\frac{V_1\,-\,V_2}{j\omega}[/tex] [tex]i_3\,=\,\frac{V_2}{j\omega}[/tex] [tex]I_0(\omega)\,=\,\frac{V_2}{1\Omega}[/tex]

KCL @ [itex]V_1[/itex]:

KCL @ [itex]V_2[/itex]:

After a couple of algebra moves(is it safe to multiply both sides by jw?), I get for [itex]V_1[/itex]:

Substituting into the [itex]V_1[/itex] KCL equation:

I also have this:

But how do I get rid of the i1 and i3? That would require ridding the equations of the V1 and V2 right? How to do that? I bet there is a much easier way of going about this. Does anyone know of an easier way?
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

note [tex]I_0=V_2[/tex]
    alternatively, you can use current divider formula a few times to solve this problem.
  4. Apr 9, 2007 #3
    Ok, let's try again...

I am going to use s in place of jw.

What do I do now? This problem really sucks, and it's the first one in the assignment! Please help.
  5. Apr 9, 2007 #4

Homework Helper

previously you arrived at
    [tex]I_S(\omega)\,=\,V_2\left(2\,+\,j\omega\right)\,+\, \frac{V_2\left(1\,+\,j\omega\right)}{j\omega}[/tex]

while I haven't check your final answer, but methods are all good. from here as I said before [tex]I_0=V_2[/tex]... so sub in and solve for [tex]I_0/I_s[/tex]
    will get same answer as your latest trial once you set [tex]I_0=V_2[/tex]
  6. Apr 10, 2007 #5
    [tex]I_S(\omega)\,=\,I_0\left(2\,+\,j\omega\right)\,+\, \frac{I_0\left(1\,+\,j\omega\right)}{j\omega}[/tex]

Finally, I get:

Is that the correct transfer function?
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  7. Apr 10, 2007 #6

Homework Helper

one should be confident with one's work...again I don't see a problem with the methods... to avoid silly mistakes like 2+3=6, just check your workings....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?