1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency response

1. Oct 12, 2005 #1
    Can you help me find frequency response for the system. Thanks
    h(n) = (a)^n*cos(n*pi)*u(n)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2005 #2
    Do you know Z-transforms? That's your starting point... you could use the tables, or derive it by hand, which I would do (at least once, then use the tables freely). I haven't done this for awhile and feel like giving it a go, so I'll save you the trouble, or I'll at least get you started and stop once I get tired of using the TeX formatting.

We will make use the following facts...

(1) [tex]\mbox{From Eulers Identity: }\cos(n \pi)=\frac{1}{2}(e^j^n^\pi + e^-^j^n^\pi)[/tex]

(2) [tex]\mbox{Z-Transform definition: } H(z)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty h(n) z^-^n[/tex]

(3) [tex]\mbox{Linearity of Z-Transforms: } h(n)=h_{1}(n)+h_{2}(n) \Leftrightarrow H(z) = H_{1}(z)+H_{2}(z)[/tex]

(4) [tex]\mbox{Geometric series: } \sum_{n=1}^\infty z^n = \frac{z}{1-z}[/tex]

Rewriting the impulse response with 1 gives us

[tex]h(n)=a^n cos(n \pi) u(n)=\frac{1}{2}a^n[e^j^n^\pi + e^-^j^n^\pi]u(n) = \frac{1}{2}[(ae^j^\pi)^n + (ae^-^j^\pi)^n]u(n)=h_{1}(n)+h_{2}(n)[/tex]

Find the Transfer function of this impulse response using (2) (3) and (4). The sums here run from one to infinity because of the unit step signal:

[tex]H(z)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{2}(ae^j^\pi)^nz^-^n+\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{2}(ae^-^j^\pi)^nz^-^n[/tex]

[tex] =\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=1}^\infty (az^-^1e^j^\pi)^n +\frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=1}^\infty (az^-^1e^-^j^\pi)^n[/tex]

[tex] =\frac{az^-^1e^j^\pi}{1-az^-^1e^j^\pi}+\frac{az^-^1e^-^j^\pi}{1-az^-^1e^-^j^\pi}[/tex]

The frequency response is the value of the transfer function on the unit circle in the Z-Plane, so taking
    [tex]H(z)|_{z=e^j^\omega}=H(\omega)[/tex]
    gives you the frequency response. From this point on it's basically some algebraic manipulations, which you shouldn't have many troubles in completing.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?