1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency, speed of sound

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 256 Hz tuning fork produces the first harmonic in a tube filled with air and having one closed and one open end. If the tube were filled with helium where the speed of sound is 965 m/sec, what frequency would be needed to produce the first harmonic? Assume the speed of air at the same temperature is 330 m/sec.

2. Relevant equations

v=lambda*f

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have tried:

f=256 Hz, speed of helium=965m/s
    lambda=v/f=965/256=247040m
    f=v/lambda=965Hz/247040m=0.0039Hz

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2010 #2
    Simple calculus error. you don't expect the result of division of two numbers in the same order of magnitude be 3 orders of magnitudes away.
    Just get your calculator, and push those buttons carefully.

We all make silly mistakes. I am writing small scripts for all serious calculations, and carefully observe all intermediate results for sanity.
    Still most of my calculations have problems. I have lost my old rigidity in math. You are just gaining it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook