Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Frequency to kill pathogens

1. Apr 21, 2008 #1
    can anyone help me to figure out how to make a system similar to Rife's unit? i would like to try 'kill' bacteria in water by running a frequency of some sort to potentially kill the bacteria and create potable water
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In a lab setting, we use sonication to break cells or biofilms. However, not all cell are equally sensitive to sonication. For example, Gram-positive are more resistant due to their think wall.

For assessing killing, one must measure colony forming units (CFU), which are measure of bacteria that are alive. To assess killing, you can look at a killing curve by measuring your CFU at t=0 and then at specific intervals. You can then measure the % killing or % survival.
  4. Apr 21, 2008 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Are you talking about Royal Rife? He was a nut. Built beautiful instruments, but a nut all the same.
  5. Apr 22, 2008 #4
    yeah im talking about Royal Raymond Rife, thanks for the replies guys. Do you have any suggestions that involve everyday appliances etc, that could be used to construct a unit along similar principles? Unfortunatly im a tad restricted by resources
  6. Jan 13, 2012 #5

I think this vid will help you with a cheap solution to the water problem.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?