Designing a Frequency to Voltage Converter: Specifications and Considerations

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a frequency to voltage converter, preferably using a low voltage supply. One suggestion is to use the LM324 quad op amp and other components to create a voltage controlled oscillator with triangular and square wave outputs. However, it is later clarified that the original request was for a voltage to frequency converter. The conversation then shifts to discussing a specific converter, the LM2917, and its circuit diagram. It is suggested to change a resistor value to achieve a more suitable output for the desired application. The conversation also briefly mentions a data logging tool and the need for proper component placement and mounting. Finally, there is a question about the specifications of a converter given a speed and voltage equation.
IKu
does anyone know where i can find a frequency to voltage converter or know how to make one? preferably using a low voltage supply... thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Originally posted by IKu
does anyone know where i can find a frequency to voltage converter or know how to make one? preferably using a low voltage supply... thanks!
Frequency to voltage? I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do - they are unrelated to each other.

Use the LM324 quad op amp. With two of the amps, some resistors, a npn transistor, and a capacitor, you can make a good Voltage Controlled Osicllator( w/ triangular and square wave outputs). The chip can use a wide supply voltage; 3 to 30 vdc.

If you want, I can make a drawing of the circuit for you.

Added by edit: I wrote too soon. I read you post as voltage to frequency. Sorry about that. Still you should be able to design what you need with an op amp, resistor and cap.

Last edited:
well I'm pretty new with this stuff so i could use a diagram... i went on a google spree and found this:
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM2917.html
they have example diagrams using this piece:
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ericlin/www/ftov.jpg
would this work?

i guess it would help to tell you guys what I'm doing... i want to convert a tach signal from a car into an analog voltage signal so i can log it... but I'm pretty new to this sort of thing. thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
they have example diagrams using this piece:
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ericlin/www/ftov.jpg
would this work?
Since the output is 66rpm per volt, at full scale (12 volt output), your input would be 792rpm. I bet you engine will turn more than this? The way I see the circuit, if you change the 100kohm resistor to 10kohm, the full scale output would be about 10 time grater (7920rpm).

Inorder to display the output voltage you will need to have some sort of voltmeter. You might want to mess around with this above mentioned resistor value such that you get something even (like 1000rpm per volt). It would be easier to scale your display.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think the output is 66Hz/volt, so multiplying that by 60 would give me rev/min, right? so even at 2 volt output, i would be at like 8000 rpm i think, unless my understanding is screwed up. anyway, I'm very new to this stuff... my understanding is Vcc is voltage supply so the 12 volt Vcc would be perfect with the car battery, Fin is the frequency signal, so i just connect th tachometer signal to this? and i would also need 2 capacitors and 3 resistors for this to work? also, I'm supposed to take the voltage output from right before the 10k (10,000?) ohm resistor which then goes to ground? sorry if these questions are stupid, just want to make sure i get this right so i don't break anything. oh, and what is that curvy line in a circle by Fin, is that a fuse? how do i connect the tach signal to that?

i'm planning on buying a datalogging tool:
http://www.dataq.com/products/startkit/di194rs.htm
i believe this logs analog voltage signals, such as the output from this circuit. i hope this all works out... thanks!

i think the output is 66Hz/volt, so multiplying that by 60 would give me rev/min, right? so even at 2 volt output, i would be at like 8000 rpm i think, unless my understanding is screwed up.
No, I'm the one screwed up. You're right. 66Hz=3960cycles(rpm)/min so at 2volt you would have 7920rpm.
my understanding is Vcc is voltage supply so the 12 volt Vcc would be perfect with the car battery, Fin is the frequency signal, so i just connect th tachometer signal to this?
Vcc would be attached to your 12 volt battery source. Fin would attach to some sort of sensor that pulses each time the engine goes through one revolution(sense the No. 1 spark plug firing). Make sure that the pulse in not grater than Vcc so that you don't damage the input circuit of the chip.
and i would also need 2 capacitors and 3 resistors for this to work?
You will also need a way to mount the components. Check out prototype circuit boards.
i'm supposed to take the voltage output from right before the 10k (10,000?) ohm resistor which then goes to ground?
Yes. Attach your voltmeter across this resistor.
what is that curvy line in a circle by Fin, is that a fuse?
No. That is the symbol for AC (Alternating Current). In you case, the AC will actually be more of a square-wave instead of sinusoidal.

I think i understand everything now, this is making much more sense, thanks a lot!

Did you guys ever get this working?

Hi,
I am looking to do the same thing, your link no longer works to the diagram. Just wondering if you ever got the converter to work and if so how. Thanks.
Tyler Kuhlmann

I have met this problem too.. I have another question, for example, if I have a speed and voltage equation, which is 1 volt = 1 meter per second. what does the specification of this frequency voltage converter looks like? Or I cannot use this equation to find specification,for exaple like the resistence and capacitence of this equipment?

1. What is a frequency voltage converter?

A frequency voltage converter, also known as a frequency converter or frequency changer, is a device that is used to convert the frequency of an alternating current (AC) electrical signal. It typically converts a higher frequency signal to a lower frequency signal, or vice versa.

2. How does a frequency voltage converter work?

A frequency voltage converter works by using electronic components, such as transistors and capacitors, to manipulate the input AC signal. It first uses a rectifier to convert the AC signal to a direct current (DC) signal, then uses an inverter to convert the DC signal back to an AC signal with the desired frequency.

3. What are the main uses of a frequency voltage converter?

Frequency voltage converters are commonly used in industrial settings to power equipment that requires a different frequency than the standard power supply. They are also used in renewable energy systems, such as solar panels and wind turbines, to convert the variable frequency of the energy source to a constant frequency for use in the electrical grid.

4. What are the advantages of using a frequency voltage converter?

One of the main advantages of using a frequency voltage converter is that it allows for the use of equipment that is designed for a different frequency than the standard power supply. It also helps to improve the efficiency of renewable energy systems by converting the variable frequency of the energy source to a consistent frequency for use in the grid.

5. Are there different types of frequency voltage converters?

Yes, there are several types of frequency voltage converters, including rotary converters, solid-state converters, and cycloconverters. Each type has its own unique design and capabilities, and the type used will depend on the specific needs and requirements of the application.