Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Frequency with which GW change space around it

Tags:
  1. Oct 25, 2016 #1
    What properties have to do with the frequency at which the lengths change of the arm?
    Also does anybody have a body paper or webpage which explains the properties at a detailed level?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2016 #2

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

A gravitational wave is typically produced when sources change from being longer in one direction to being longer in the perpendicular direction. If the sources are two bodies orbiting one another, the frequency is twice the orbit frequency (as the system reaches maximum elongation in a given direction twice per orbit).

Gravitational waves involve complex mathematics, usually based on a linear approximation to General Relativity. For an introduction, see this Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_wave

4. Oct 25, 2016 #3

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There are plenty of papers on this subject, but they won't be at a "B" level (high school level), which is how you labeled this thread. If you want answers at a more technical level, let me know and I can adjust the thread level accordingly.

5. Oct 26, 2016 #4
    Yeah could you please move the thread up a level? Thx

6. Oct 26, 2016 #5

PeterDonis

2016 Award

I have changed the thread level to "I".

7. Oct 26, 2016 #6

PeterDonis

2016 Award

A good introduction to the theory of gravitational waves is in Chapter 6 of Sean Carroll's online lecture notes on GR:

https://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9712019

This is a good text in general for learning GR as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted