1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fres = -mgsinθ pendulum

1. Dec 5, 2012 #1
    Okay I hope I can write this so it makes sense what I am thinking.
    For a pendulum you have:

Fres = -mgsinθ
    And Fres points along the circumference:
    So:
    mRθ'' = -mgsinθ

I wonna discuss this property that you can just express the acceleration as Rθ''. In a cartesian coordinate frame your acceleration would depend on the characteristic length scale of x. How do you know that the characteristic length scale of Rθ is the same as x? I know it sounds weird, but I hope you understand what Im going at.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: pendulum

I'm not sure what you mean by "characteristic length scale" but I suspect it has to do either with the units of measurement or a specific length in the problem.

The angle, [itex]\theta[/itex] is "dimensionless" so that "[itex]R\theta[/itex]" has the same units as R. Whatever "length scale" you are using for R also applies to [itex]R\theta[/itex].

4. Dec 5, 2012 #3

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

are you asking if X and Y are measured in meters then would r*theta be measured in meters?

5. Dec 5, 2012 #4

no rather something like this: If we imagine that at some point the x-axis of our coordinate system tangential to the arc then the pendulum will move a distance dx measured in cartesian coordinates. How can we know that dx=rdθ, I mean what is it that says that these differentials are comparable? After all what if we made r bigger?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook