Exploring my Path to Grad School: Math, Stats & Engineering

In summary, the speaker recently graduated from a liberal arts college with a double major in Math and Economics. They are currently teaching HS Math in Vietnam and have a strong background in theoretical math, with some experience in BioStat and R. They are interested in applying their analytical skills in a meaningful way, potentially through studying Statistics or pursuing a Masters in Engineering. They have concerns about their chances of getting into a good Masters program in Statistics and are open to any advice or perspectives.
devinedj
In May I graduated from a small liberal arts college with a Bachelors in Math (3.6/4) and in Economics (3.8/4). In July I shipped off to Vietnam where I am currently teaching HS Math at a large private school in Hanoi. I took a last minute GRE before I left and scored reasonably well IMO (V 159, M 167).

My math background is heavily based in theory. I have completed coursework through Abstract Algebra, and Analysis: one semester of complex and a full year of baby Rudin's real. I also went through a summer program in BioStat, SIBS, at BU which included some exposure to SAS and R. My undergrad project was unoriginal (but did extend my experience in R), focusing on Model Selection with a bias (ha!) towards LASSO. I basically reproduced the results in http://www-stat.stanford.edu/~tibs/lasso/lasso.pdf

My physics and engineering background is also quite theoretical and only begins to scratch the surface. Thru Intro Quantum, E&M, General Relativity, Heat Transfer.

More relevant info: I honestly enjoy the challenge, structure, and beauty of higher mathematics. It's rigor does not intimidate me. That said, I (the young liberal idealist) find a lot of it purposeless and self satisfying. For these reasons I am drawn toward the applied side of mathematics. How can I put my analytical skill to use in this complex world of inequality and inter-dependence?

Statistics appears as a logical avenue. I was largely unimpressed with the biostats program at BU due to its dry, detatched approach to both the mathematics and the problem itself. We met hypotheses and applied the appropriate statistical tests... Over and again. Still, it's unfair of me to turn a cold shoulder on other opportunities in statistics. On the flipside I am hesitant to commit to a path without having a better idea of its destination.

Engineering attracts me but I feel somewhat behind pace when considering Master's programs in Environmental or Civil Engineering. Not even bothering with Mechanical...

My questions/concerns are broad and may be impossible for one person to address.
1. With my current CV what are my chances of getting into a decent Masters program in statistics (say Berkely, Davis, and/or CSU)? What about a Ph.D. track? What would I need to score to impress on the Math GRE ST?

2. What are some opportunities available to a M.A. in Stat? What do I eliminate by pursuing a M.A. in Stat versus a Ph.D. in Stat?

3. How much coursework would I need to make up to pursue a Masters in (fill in the blank) Engineering?

I am very open to any and all perspectives. At this point I am enjoying the struggles of teaching and don't plan to enroll in grad. school before fall '14. I'm just looking for a bit more clarity on the road that leads me there. Should I retake the GRE? Get more programming experience? Take some engineering courses?

Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org

shameless bump.

1. What is the importance of pursuing higher education in math, statistics, and engineering?

Pursuing higher education in math, statistics, and engineering can open up numerous opportunities for career advancement and personal growth. These fields are highly in demand in various industries such as technology, finance, and research. Additionally, a graduate degree in these subjects can lead to higher salaries and more job stability.

2. How should I prepare for applying to graduate school in math, statistics, and engineering?

To prepare for graduate school in math, statistics, and engineering, it is important to have a strong foundation in these subjects. This can include taking advanced coursework, participating in research projects, and gaining practical experience through internships or co-op programs. It is also important to have strong letters of recommendation, a well-written personal statement, and a competitive GPA.

3. What are some key factors to consider when choosing a graduate program in math, statistics, or engineering?

Some key factors to consider when choosing a graduate program in math, statistics, or engineering include the program's reputation, faculty expertise, research opportunities, and curriculum. It is also important to consider the location, cost, and any specialized areas of focus within the program. It is recommended to research and compare multiple programs to find the best fit for your career goals.

4. How can I stand out as a strong candidate for graduate school in these fields?

To stand out as a strong candidate for graduate school in math, statistics, and engineering, it is important to have a well-rounded application. This can include a strong academic record, relevant research experience, strong letters of recommendation, and a clear and compelling personal statement. Additionally, showcasing leadership skills, involvement in extracurricular activities, and unique experiences can help set you apart from other applicants.

5. What career opportunities can I pursue with a graduate degree in math, statistics, or engineering?

A graduate degree in math, statistics, or engineering can lead to a variety of career opportunities. Some common career paths include data analysis, research and development, consulting, and teaching. Graduates may also find opportunities in industries such as healthcare, finance, technology, and government. With a strong foundation and specialized knowledge in these fields, the possibilities for career advancement are endless.