1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freshman chemistry book?

1. Apr 11, 2009 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

I'd like to know some books or "must have" books on chemistry that chemistry majors use as freshman.
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2009 #2
    Zumdahl or McMurray and Fay are the two biggest names as far as freshman chemistry is concerned. There are about a million different books though, the only thing that matters is if it conforms to the prescribed ACS curriculum.

4. Apr 12, 2009 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thank you very much for the suggestions, I will investigate.
    I didn't know about ACS, but I just googled it. By the way, how do I know if a book is ACS certified?

5. Apr 12, 2009 #4
    To be honest, you'll be hard pressed to find a book that didn't cover the required topics prescribed by the ACS. The only I know of off the top of my head is Linus Pauling's book AFAIK because it doesn't cover molecular orbitals.

Anyway, I should also warn you that there's a general chemistry book actually published by the ACS which you should avoid. Just stick with either Zumdahl or McMurray. Another name is Chang, which I've heard good things about. I personally used Zumdahl so I can speak to how good it is.

6. Apr 13, 2009 #5

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

I learned chemistry from Zumdahl's book, so I guess it wouldn't be a bad choice.

7. Apr 13, 2009 #6
    Silberberg is excellent.

8. Apr 13, 2009 #7

danago

Gold Member

I am currently using silberberg and can +1 this suggestion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook