• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Freshman chemistry book?

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
fluidistic
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'd like to know some books or "must have" books on chemistry that chemistry majors use as freshman.
Thank you.

Answers and Replies

Zumdahl or McMurray and Fay are the two biggest names as far as freshman chemistry is concerned. There are about a million different books though, the only thing that matters is if it conforms to the prescribed ACS curriculum.

fluidistic
Gold Member
Zumdahl or McMurray and Fay are the two biggest names as far as freshman chemistry is concerned. There are about a million different books though, the only thing that matters is if it conforms to the prescribed ACS curriculum.
Thank you very much for the suggestions, I will investigate.
I didn't know about ACS, but I just googled it. By the way, how do I know if a book is ACS certified?

To be honest, you'll be hard pressed to find a book that didn't cover the required topics prescribed by the ACS. The only I know of off the top of my head is Linus Pauling's book AFAIK because it doesn't cover molecular orbitals.

Anyway, I should also warn you that there's a general chemistry book actually published by the ACS which you should avoid. Just stick with either Zumdahl or McMurray. Another name is Chang, which I've heard good things about. I personally used Zumdahl so I can speak to how good it is.

thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
I learned chemistry from Zumdahl's book, so I guess it wouldn't be a bad choice.

Silberberg is excellent.

danago
Gold Member
Silberberg is excellent.
I am currently using silberberg and can +1 this suggestion.