Freshman in an electronic engineering program

• Thread starter exis
  • Start date
Hi,

I'm a freshman in an electronic engineering program in university. Throughout the course we're supposed to learn how to program using C. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to learn C++ on my own instead. From what I gather, C++ is a superset of C however I've also been told that some hardware can strictly be programmed only using C. Is this true? If yes, are there any C ebooks/books that you suggest I use to learn C?

Thanks in advance

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor

Hi,

I'm a freshman in an electronic engineering program in university. Throughout the course we're supposed to learn how to program using C. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to learn C++ on my own instead. From what I gather, C++ is a superset of C however I've also been told that some hardware can strictly be programmed only using C. Is this true? If yes, are there any C ebooks/books that you suggest I use to learn C?

Thanks in advance

I use C a lot for embedded system real-time programming. C++ would probably work as well, but the embedded systems I work with use a real-time extension of C, so C++ is not an option.

The standard textbook for C is K&R. The first edition left a lot to be desired, but the current edition is very complete and userul, IMO:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0131103628/?tag=pfamazon01-20

C it is then... Thanks for replying berkeman

C and C++ are similar, it might be useful to pick up C++ later on.