1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freshman Phys Again

1. Feb 2, 2007 #1
    I have Giancoli and I've just ordered Reese. For the balance between rigor and clarity what would serve me best? I'm looking for something that isn't afraid to get very mathematical, I want to see vector calculus or whatever is necessary to explain the principles as rigorously as possible. At the same time, I don't want to completely abandon clarity and modern comforts such as worked out examples and pretty pictures.

Am I dreaming here? I'm wanting something whose first volume is as close to an upper undergraduate classical mech class as is possible without quite being there. Anyone?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suggest you check out of your college library an older copy of Marion's Classical Dynamics. It's a sophomore/junior level book that will supply math and rigor, yet it reads well. I like the 2nd edition; people seem to dislike the later editions (it's up to 5th now).
  4. Feb 3, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  5. Feb 5, 2007 #4
    Thanks folks
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?