Freshwater Fish Experts: Treating Ich in Clown Loaches

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary: Formalin and Malachite Green are pretty toxic to loaches. If you have a quarantine tank, do you also have a "hospital tank". If you can, get the loaches out (tough, I know) and get them into a tank you can treat with CopperSafe or else remove any inverts you don't want to kill. Treat with the Coppersafe and keep up with the elevated temp and water changes. The salt may also bother the loaches if it's on the high side. Good luck.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Despite my quarantine, my new Clown Loaches have got Ich. It's not bad, I can't actually see any white dots, but they're frantically scraping themselves on every available surface.

I've been trying 'Super Ich Cure' in capsule form (Benzaldehyde Green, Nitrofurzone), which may be keeping the Ich at bay. However, the bottle form of 'Quick Cure' (Formalin, Malachite Green) is the best I've heard, and was quite effective last time.

I've been warned away from using Quick Cure on Loaches, I was told it would surely kill them (and likely my shrimps too), so I'm a bit stuck.

I've got some salt in the tank and I've got the temp. up to 26C.

I am tempted to give them a swab with peroxide, does anyone know how dilute the peroxide should be? I used 1.5% on my Betta and she did OK, but loaches are scaleless.

(Worse yet - I've had to stop regular water changes for a few days since my water heater's on the fritz.)

Advice?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1-2% isn't a problem for fish, they've got the "slime" protecting them. I've always just cut drugstore peroxide (3%) to a third (2 water plus one peroxide).

I don't think the ich cure stuff should harm them. but don't take my word for it, I'm just thinking outloud. I'd get a new heater, you don't want temps going nuts, especially when they got ich, are you even sure it is ich? if they don't have spots yet, it may be something else. I don't remember, but when curing ich, ur either supposed to turn the heat up, or turn it down, i just can't remember which, but find out.
Lastly, make sure you take the carbon out of ur filter once you treat the water, or the ich cure will get absorbed.

You cure ich with formalin? And that doesn't just kill and preserve your fish?

I agree with your hesitation to use the Quick-Cure. Formalin and Malachite Green are pretty toxic to loaches. If you have a quarantine tank, do you also have a "hospital tank". If you can, get the loaches out (tough, I know) and get them into a tank you can treat with CopperSafe or else remove any inverts you don't want to kill. Treat with the Coppersafe and keep up with the elevated temp and water changes. The salt may also bother the loaches if it's on the high side. Good luck.

Moonbear said:
You cure ich with formalin? And that doesn't just kill and preserve your fish?

Yes, but then you don't have to worry about any more diseases.:biggrin:

The formalin concentrations used to treat fish with those preparations are quite low, ~1 tsp of 37% formalin/gallon (some use even less). Obviously much less than you would use for tissue preservation purposes.

What is Ich and how does it affect clown loaches?

Ich, also known as white spot disease, is a common parasitic infection in freshwater fish. It is caused by the protozoan parasite Ichthyophthirius multifiliis and can cause symptoms such as white spots on the fish's skin, rapid breathing, and lethargy. Clown loaches are particularly susceptible to Ich and can become stressed and weakened by the infection.

How do I know if my clown loaches have Ich?

The most obvious sign of Ich in clown loaches is the appearance of white spots on their skin, fins, and gills. These spots may look like grains of salt and can be easily seen on the dark coloration of the loaches. Other symptoms may include rapid breathing, loss of appetite, and rubbing against surfaces in the tank.

What is the best treatment for Ich in clown loaches?

The most effective treatment for Ich in clown loaches is raising the temperature of the tank to 86-88 degrees Fahrenheit and adding aquarium salt at a concentration of 1-3 teaspoons per gallon. The heat and salt will kill the parasite in its free-swimming stage. It is important to gradually increase the temperature and monitor the fish closely during treatment.

Can I use medication to treat Ich in clown loaches?

While there are medications available for treating Ich, they can be harmful to clown loaches and other sensitive fish. It is best to avoid using medication and opt for the heat and salt treatment. If the infection is severe and other fish in the tank are not affected, it may be necessary to quarantine the infected loaches and use medication specifically formulated for Ich treatment.

How can I prevent Ich from infecting my clown loaches?

The best way to prevent Ich is by maintaining good water quality and a stress-free environment for your clown loaches. This includes regular water changes, avoiding overstocking the tank, and providing hiding places for the loaches. It is also important to quarantine any new fish before introducing them to the tank to prevent the spread of diseases.