Solving Fresnel Coefficient Equations

Snell's Law to simplify the expression for t and r in the problem. They also suggest starting with the expression for t and then using the same method for r.
Dassinia
Hello,
1. Homework Statement [/b]

http://imageshack.com/a/img17/2531/gu44.png Uploaded with ImageShack.com
I'm trying to prove this but i didn't succeed

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the t I multiplied by sin(θt) in the numerator and denominator and used
sin(a) * cos(b) = 1/2 × (sin(a+b) + sin(a-b))
I ended with a 4cos(θt)sin(θi)/[sin(θi+θt)+sin(θt-θi)] but then ?
For r I don't even know how to start

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dassinia said:
Hello,
1. Homework Statement [/b]

http://imageshack.com/a/img17/2531/gu44.png Uploaded with ImageShack.com
I'm trying to prove this but i didn't succeed

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the t I multiplied by sin(θt) in the numerator and denominator

ehild

That is all right, but use Snell's Law nisin(θi)=ntsin(θt) after, and see if you can simplify...

ehild

Last edited by a moderator:
and for r, how can I start

The same way.

ehild

for sharing your attempt at solving the Fresnel coefficient equations. It seems like you are on the right track by using the trigonometric identity for sin(a) * cos(b). However, in order to solve these equations, you will need to use the boundary conditions at the interface between two media. This means taking into account the refractive indices of the two media and the angle of incidence. You can also use the Fresnel equations, which relate the incident, reflected, and transmitted amplitudes of light at a boundary between two media. I suggest reviewing these equations and the boundary conditions to help you continue with your solution. Keep up the good work!

1. What are Fresnel coefficient equations?

Fresnel coefficient equations are mathematical formulas that are used to calculate the reflection and transmission coefficients of light at an interface between two different materials. They are based on the Fresnel equations, which describe the behavior of light as it passes through a boundary between two media with different refractive indices.

2. Why are Fresnel coefficient equations important?

These equations are important because they allow us to predict how much light will be reflected or transmitted at an interface between two materials, which is crucial for understanding the behavior of light in a wide range of scientific and technological applications. They are commonly used in optics, materials science, and engineering.

3. How are Fresnel coefficient equations derived?

Fresnel coefficient equations are derived from the Fresnel equations, which are based on the principles of electromagnetism and the laws of reflection and refraction. They take into account the refractive indices of the two materials, as well as the angle of incidence of the light and the polarization state of the light.

4. What factors can affect the values of the Fresnel coefficients?

The values of the Fresnel coefficients can be affected by a variety of factors, including the refractive indices of the two materials, the angle of incidence of the light, the polarization state of the light, and the wavelength of the light. The coefficients may also differ for different types of light, such as visible light, infrared radiation, or ultraviolet light.

5. How are Fresnel coefficient equations used in practical applications?

Fresnel coefficient equations are used in many practical applications, including optical coatings, antireflective coatings, and optical filters. They are also used in the design of optical devices such as lenses, mirrors, and prisms. In addition, they are important for understanding the behavior of light in materials with different refractive indices, such as in fiber optics and semiconductors.