1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fresnel Integral

1. Aug 14, 2006 #1
    Somebody could please tell me how to evaluate the integral:

integral(sin(x^2)) from o to infinity

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2006 #2

TD

Homework Helper

You can find a strategy here.

4. Aug 14, 2006 #3
    well, I had already checked the link, but I don't undestand the strategy, could somebody please explain it to me?, or if you have a text where I can find some explanation about that kind of process, I would really apreciate if you help me.

5. Aug 14, 2006 #4
    Since [itex]e^{iz^2}[/itex] is an analytic function on [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] we have:

[tex]\int_{\Gamma_R} e^{iz^2} d z = 0[/tex] where [itex]\Gamma_R[/itex] is the "pizza-slice" countour given in the link.
    Now
    [tex]\int_{\Gamma_R} e^{iz^2} d z = \int_0^R e^{i t^2} d t + \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}} e^{i R^2 e^{i 2 \theta}} i R e^{i \theta} d \theta + \int_R^0 e^{- t^2} e^{i \frac{\pi}{4}} d t [/tex].

By taking the limit [itex]R \rightarrow \infty[/itex] and observing that

[tex]\lim_{R\rightarrow \infty} \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}} e^{i R^2 e^{i 2 \theta}} i R e^{i\theta} d \theta = 0 [/tex]

we obtain

[tex]\int_0^\infty e^{i t^2} d t = e^{i \frac{\pi}{4}} \int_0^\infty e^{- t^2} d t [/tex].

By Euler's formula and gaussian integral we get:

[tex]\int_0^\infty \sin(t^2) dt = \int_0^\infty \cos(t^2) dt = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{8}}[/tex].

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  6. Aug 15, 2006 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because i'm lazy to write all that much, see pages 98 & 99 of Max Planck's "Theory of Light", Macmillan, 1932 (a.k.a. the IV-the volume of the "Introduction to Theoretical Physics" set).

Daniel.

7. Mar 10, 2011 #6
    Reviving this tread, but why does

[tex]\lim_{R\rightarrow \infty} \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{4}} e^{i R^2 e^{i 2 \theta}} i R e^{i\theta} d \theta = 0 [/tex]

?

8. Mar 23, 2011 #7
    This is why:

[tex]
    \left\arrowvert\int_0^{\pi/4}e^{iR^2e^{i2\theta}}iRe^{i\theta}d\theta \right\arrowvert = \left\arrowvert\int_0^{\pi/4}exp\{iR^2(\cos(2\theta)+i \sin(2\theta))\}iRe^{i\theta}d\theta \right\arrowvert
    [/tex]

Evaluating the absolute value, this equals

[tex]
    \int_0^{\pi/4}exp\{-R^2 \sin(2\theta)\}R d\theta
    [/tex]

Now find the maximum of [tex] g(\theta) = exp\{-R^2 \sin(2\theta)\} [/tex] by differentiation (check it's a max by second derivative test).
    This occurs at [tex] \theta = \pi/4 [/tex].
    Then the above is less than or equal to

[tex]
    R \cdot exp\{-R^2\} \frac{\pi}{4}
    [/tex]

Take the limit as [tex] R\to \infty [/tex] to get 0.
    Absolute value to zero, original to zero.

9. Jun 6, 2011 #8
    Buddy you are wrong the maximum of exp(-R^2sin(2thta)) is not at theta=pi/4 its maximum is at theta=0 ! So The maximum of g(theta) = exp{-R^2 *sin(2*theta)} is 1, not exp(-R^2), and this makes you proof wrong.!
    Any other proof that is right???
    this is my homework pls

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  10. Jun 6, 2011 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?