1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fresnel power Coefficients

1. Oct 4, 2010 #1
    Hi,

I'm doing a question using the Fresnel power coefficients, not the Fresnel amplitude coefficients. We can use matlab for this, but we are given a fixed angle of incidence of 45 deg so its really just one calculation, as opposed to an earlier question where the angle varied between 0 and 90 deg. We are given the refractive indices.

But what are these equations, lol. We're supposed to look them up but I can't find them.

The earlier question talked about the Fresnel amplitude coefficients, and this current question tells us to use the Fresnel power coefficients so I assume they are different.

Thanks a lot

Liam

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2010 #2
    I've never heard of Fresnel power coefficient, but I guess it's similar to reflection coefficient. Then if you can calculate the relation between amplitudes, since power ~ intensity ~ amplitude^2, you can calculate the coefficient, right? :smile:

4. Oct 5, 2010 #3
    Hi Thanks,

yeah all we had to do was square the Fresnel amplitude reflection coefficient to get the power reflection coefficient and use 1-R2 to get the Fresnel power transmission coefficient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?