Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fresnel's biprism

1. Feb 6, 2015 #1
    In Fresnel's biprism experiment what is meant by virtual sources?
    upload_2015-2-6_22-59-53.png
    In this image s1 and s2 are called virtual sources.In my textbook it is written that refracted rays appears to com e from these virtual source.What is virtual source?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2015 #2

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you follow the rays from the actual point source, S, you will see a virtual source S1 formed by rays entering the upper part of the prism from the actual source S, and a virtual source S2 formed by rays entering the bottom part of the prism.

Labeling the rays R1 through R4 (top to bottom) coming from S, R1 is bent to become parallel with the optical axis, and is the upper ray reaching the screen. R2 refracts downwards to the bottom of the screen. R3 refracts to the top of the screen, and R4 refracts to be parallel with the optical axis, at the very bottom of the screen. R1 and R2, can be traced backwards to form S1, while R3 and R4 can be traced backwards to form S2.

4. Feb 6, 2015 #3
    Can you please point out R1,R2,R3,R4 in my above picture.

5. Feb 6, 2015 #4

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't have good software for this. I'll attempt to use words:

Four rays are emerging from S, moving left to right. The top one is R1, it grazes the top of the prism. R2 is directly below R1. The centerline (optical axis) is below R2, and bisects the prism. Below the centerline is R3, and at the very bottom is R4, which grazes the bottom of the prism. After refraction, R1 and R4 travel parallel to the centerline, R2 travels downwards and R3 travels upwards.

6. Feb 6, 2015 #5
    upload_2015-2-7_1-2-23.png
    Have I labeled it correctly?

7. Feb 6, 2015 #6
    How?

8. Feb 6, 2015 #7
    upload_2015-2-7_1-20-7.png
    Have I labeled it correctly?

9. Feb 6, 2015 #8

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

10. Feb 6, 2015 #9

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look at the rays on the right side of the prism. If you trace R1 back -- i.e. use a ruler to draw a straight line from right to left, it goes straight back to S1 (top line in S1). If you trace R2 back, it goes to S1 (bottom line to S1).

11. Feb 6, 2015 #10
    Look at the rays on the right side of the prism. If you trace R1 back -- i.e. use a ruler to draw a straight line from right to left, it goes straight back to S1 (top line in S1). If you trace R2 back, it goes to S1 (bottom line to S1).
    upload_2015-2-7_1-40-4.png
    Is it right?

Attached Files:

12. Feb 6, 2015 #11

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That s it.

13. Feb 6, 2015 #12
    I didn't understand.Is any typo here?

14. Feb 6, 2015 #13
    So,S1 is virtual source of R1 and R2. And S2 is virtual source of R3 and R4 ,right?

15. Feb 6, 2015 #14

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have drawn in the lines correctly. R1 and R2 trace back to S1, and R3 and R4 trace back to S2.

I think that you understand.

16. Feb 6, 2015 #15

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Exactly right! You understand the whole thing.

17. Feb 6, 2015 #16
    All because of you.I will need further help of yours in this particular thread.I am posting my queries .I hope you are there.

18. Feb 6, 2015 #17
    This
    Fresnel's biprism experiment is for interference not diffraction ,right?

19. Feb 6, 2015 #18

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

20. Feb 6, 2015 #19
    If yes then at what point interference occurs?
    I have pointed out in the image below ,is this a place where interference occurs?
    upload_2015-2-7_2-17-38.png

21. Feb 6, 2015 #20

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The dashed bit is showing the region where you will see interference. i.e. the image plane at R.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook