Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Freud is Back: A must read

1. Jul 18, 2004 #1
    In last month's SCIAM magazine, there was an interesting article concerning the recent developments in neuroscience, in regards to the classical psychoanalytical (sp?) theories of Sigmund Freud. Unfortunately, SCIAM did not post the whole 4 page article online but it does have a summary and a few paragraphs of the article at this website: http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa006&colID=1&articleID=00074EE5-1AFE-1085-94F483414B7F0000

Anyway, I wanted to know what you guys think. If you'd like to read the actual article, then please say so and I'll try to scan the article for you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2004 #2

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

The two paragraphs linked to tell us nothing. Can you at least provide a synopsis?

4. Jul 18, 2004 #3
    Sure. Uh, I think I'm better off typing an interesting part of the article from my magazine right now. I'm really too sleepy to bother writing a synopsis:

If our mental activity is indeed unconsciously motivated, then what if what we see as intelligent behavior is really a product of complex phenomena, based on a basic set of rules?

5. Jul 18, 2004 #4
    That Freud may have fairly accurately described a few basic principles of cognitive science comes as no surprise, after all, he wrote endlessly on the subject. Nonetheless, after a century of use no has yet proven psychoanalysis to be the slightest bit better than just allowing people to recover on their own. Evidently Freud's ghost will never die quietly. Not enough drama to satisfy his demanding audience.

6. Jul 18, 2004 #5
    imparticle; i've been thinking something about those same lines.

"it is becoming increasingly clear that a good deal of our mental activity is unconsciously motivated."

that's logical. one does not even need neuro/science to determine that.

All of my actions are driven by instincts.

I'm buying a good car at a reasonable price, that's reasonable. The men who built it are reasonable men.

nope. it's un-reasonable because the reason is used as tool for instincts, the ego, who is the one that "wants". you only bargained a reasonable price, thus providing a good car for your family. which may mean safety, or pride or whatever of the "feelings" that mix into more complex things that we call "values".

The body is our tool, but we can also use it to play football with it or have sex, which both give pleasure in a way. which does nothing else but satisfy the needs, the instincts. the instincts are very hungry. the want sensations, experience.

the reason is the same kind of a tool, with it you can also play games. which does nothing else but satisfy the needs, the instincts.

the reason is more and more capable as a tool, as we develop ourselves. But we are not able to leave behind the basics of our being, because that's what makes us "us". And if you leave yourself behind that's not you anymore.

7. Jul 18, 2004 #6
    Are you saying that "want" is unreasonable? How do you arrive at this conclusion? What is being reasonable?

8. Jul 19, 2004 #7
    that's all very relative, true...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?