FRICTION: Solving the Mystery of Unbalanced Normal Force in Cam FBDs

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
Make sure to carefully consider all the forces acting on the object in your FBD. In summary, when creating a FBD, make sure to include all relevant forces, such as gravity and friction, to accurately represent the forces acting on the object. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a mentor when struggling to understand a concept.
Saladsamurai
[SOLVED] FRICTION again:What Am I missing here??

Homework Statement

I must be missing something huge here (in general) Looking at my FBD of just the cam, again, my normal force goes unbalanced so it equals zero.

What did I miss? Forgive me if it's obvious, but I have a hard time learning this just with a text and no mentor.

Picture6-1.png

Picture7.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations F = maThe Attempt at a Solution You did not account for gravity in your Free Body Diagram. Gravity is a force, and it should be included in the FBD. Additionally, you may have missed taking into account any friction forces, such as the friction between the cam and the surface it is resting on.

Homework Equations
N/A

The Solution
After carefully examining your cam FBD, it appears that you may have overlooked the presence of friction in your system. Friction is a force that opposes the motion or attempted motion of an object and can cause a difference in the normal force. In order to accurately solve for the normal force, you must take into account the friction force acting on the cam. This can be done by including a frictional force arrow on your FBD and using the appropriate equations to solve for the normal force. Additionally, make sure to consider the direction of the friction force, as it can change depending on the direction of motion. It is important to carefully analyze all forces acting on the object in order to accurately solve for the normal force and solve the mystery of unbalanced forces in your cam FBDs. If you continue to have trouble, it is always helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or tutor who can provide additional support and clarification.

What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces that are in contact with each other.

What causes friction?

Friction is caused by the irregularities in the surfaces of objects that come into contact with each other. These irregularities create resistance and prevent the surfaces from sliding easily against each other.

How does friction affect motion?

Friction can slow down or completely stop the motion of an object. It can also change the direction of motion by creating a force in the opposite direction.

What are the different types of friction?

The three main types of friction are static friction, kinetic friction, and rolling friction. Static friction occurs between two surfaces that are not moving relative to each other, kinetic friction occurs between surfaces that are sliding against each other, and rolling friction occurs between a rolling object and the surface it is rolling on.

How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces. Lubricants create a thin layer that reduces the contact between the two surfaces and therefore reduces friction. Another way to reduce friction is by using smoother surfaces or by applying a force in the opposite direction of the motion to counteract the frictional force.