What is the acceleration of block B?

In summary, there are three blocks attached by cords over frictionless pulleys, with mass mA=6kg for block A, mass mB=6kg for block B, and mass mC=18kg for block C. The equation F=ma is used to solve the problem, treating the blocks as two separate problems. The acceleration of block B is found using the equation a(B)=(m(C)g - (m(C)g))/m(B), but the result is 0/6 which is incorrect. The correct approach is to consider block C as a negative weight on the same side as block A, simplifying the problem to a single falling block pulling on block B. The acceleration of block A is +9.
TS656577
[SOLVED] Friction and blocks

Homework Statement

Three blocks are attached by cords that loop over frictionless pulleys. Block B lies on a frictionless table; the masses are mA=6kg, mB=6kg, and mC=18kg. The accleration due to gravity is g.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that it would be wise to treat these as two separate problems. I thought I would solve one side by the following. Block B T=ma Block C F(g)-T=ma and thus mg-T=ma
I thought that to figure out the acceleration of block B (since we know C's is -9.8m/s^2) that i would use the equation a(B)=(m(C)g - (m(C)g))/m(B) But when I do that i would get 0/6. That can't be right because the block C would move because it is heavier than block A

Attachments

• nfg033.gif
    nfg033.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 475
Physics news on Phys.org
A acts in the opposite direction to C so you could think of it as a negative weight on the same side as C. That will simplify it into a single falling block pulling on B.

Oops, i forgot to mention, i have to find the acceleration of block a. So would i still be on the right track? I feel like my signs are messed up in that equation i had

Since they are all on the same wire the accelaration of all the blocks is the same.

so the accleration of block A is +9.8 m/s^2?

or are you saying that once i figure out the acceleration of one block, then that would be the same for all of them

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces in contact. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces that create resistance when they come into contact with each other.

2. How does friction affect blocks?

Friction affects blocks by making it harder for them to move or slide against each other. The amount of friction depends on the type of surfaces in contact and the force pressing them together.

3. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from moving when they are in contact and not moving relative to each other. It is the maximum amount of friction that can be exerted before the objects start sliding against each other.

4. How can friction be reduced between blocks?

Friction between blocks can be reduced by using a lubricant, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. This reduces the amount of contact between the surfaces, thereby reducing the friction.

5. Why is friction important in the study of blocks?

Friction is important in the study of blocks because it plays a crucial role in determining the stability and movement of structures made of blocks. Understanding the effects of friction can help engineers and scientists design more efficient and stable structures.