1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction and blocks

1. Feb 10, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Friction and blocks

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three blocks are attached by cords that loop over frictionless pulleys. Block B lies on a frictionless table; the masses are mA=6kg, mB=6kg, and mC=18kg. The accleration due to gravity is g.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I thought that it would be wise to treat these as two separate problems. I thought I would solve one side by the following. Block B T=ma Block C F(g)-T=ma and thus mg-T=ma
    I thought that to figure out the acceleration of block B (since we know C's is -9.8m/s^2) that i would use the equation a(B)=(m(C)g - (m(C)g))/m(B) But when I do that i would get 0/6. That cant be right because the block C would move because it is heavier than block A

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A acts in the opposite direction to C so you could think of it as a negative weight on the same side as C. That will simplify it into a single falling block pulling on B.
  4. Feb 10, 2008 #3
    Oops, i forgot to mention, i have to find the acceleration of block a. So would i still be on the right track? I feel like my signs are messed up in that equation i had
  5. Feb 10, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since they are all on the same wire the accelaration of all the blocks is the same.
  6. Feb 10, 2008 #5
    so the accleration of block A is +9.8 m/s^2?
  7. Feb 10, 2008 #6
    or are you saying that once i figure out the acceleration of one block, then that would be the same for all of them
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?