Friction and distance traveled

In summary, Sam traveled 470 meters while he was speeding up and 12 meters while he was slowing down.
osker246

Homework Statement

Sam, whose mass is 67 kg, takes off across level snow on his jet-powered skis. The skis have a thrust of 230 N and a coefficient of kinetic friction on snow of 0.13. Unfortunately, the skis run out of fuel after only 12.

Homework Equations

F-Fk=mA

(Vx)f = (Vx)i + (Ax)(Delta Time)
Xf=Xi+((Vx)i)(delta Time) + .5(Ax)(Delta Time)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I first started out by find the acceleration:

230-(.13)(67)(9.8)=67Ax

Ax=2.15

So I plugged that into the equation to find the max speed...

(Vx)f= 2.15 x 12 = 25.8 m/s rounded to 2 sig figures 26 m/s

According to mastering physics I am correct up to here. Finding the distance traveled is where I am getting the answer incorrect.

I tried using the equation Xf=Xi+((Vx)i)(delta Time) + .5(Ax)(Delta Time)^2

Xf= 0 + (26)(12) + .5(2.15)(12)^2 = 466.8 M

Mastering physics ask for it to be rounded to 2 sig figures giving 470 m. But yet that answer is incorrect. What am I doing wrong? If somebody can help me I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you asked to find the total distance the skier travels up to the point where he comes to rest, or just the distance he travels until the jet-powered skis run out of fuel? (Once the jets stop, what is the skier's acceleration?)

(Get in the habit of posting the complete problem exactly as given.)

I'm sorry that's my fault. I forgot to type the questions asked.

Part A:"What is Sam's top speed?"

I got this part correct. Part B is where I am lost.

Part B:"How far has Sam traveled when he finally coasts to a stop?"

osker246 said:
Part B:"How far has Sam traveled when he finally coasts to a stop?"
Just as I thought.

You'll need to solve this problem in two parts, since each part has a different acceleration. First solve for the distance traveled while he's speeding up, using the formula for distance you already used. Then solve for the distance traveled while he's slowing down. (First figure out his new acceleration.) You'll need to use a different kinematic formula, since you don't have the time.

Add those two distances to get the total.

What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists motion between two objects that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the roughness of the surfaces in contact and is affected by factors such as the weight of the objects, the type of surface, and the force pressing the objects together.

How does friction affect distance traveled?

Friction can decrease the distance traveled by an object by slowing it down. This is because the force of friction acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to lose energy and slow down. In some cases, friction can also increase the distance traveled if it allows an object to gain traction on a surface and move more efficiently.

What are the different types of friction?

The three main types of friction are static friction, sliding friction, and rolling friction. Static friction occurs when two objects are in contact but not moving relative to each other. Sliding friction occurs when two objects are moving across each other's surface. Rolling friction occurs when an object rolls over a surface, such as a wheel on the ground.

How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces in contact. This creates a thin layer that reduces the roughness and allows the surfaces to slide more easily. Another way to reduce friction is by using materials with smoother surfaces, such as using a ball bearing to reduce friction between two moving parts.

How does friction affect the efficiency of machines?

Friction can decrease the efficiency of machines by reducing their speed and causing them to require more energy to overcome the force of friction. This can lead to wear and tear on the machine and decrease its overall performance. However, friction can also be beneficial in certain machines, such as brakes on a car, where it is used to slow down or stop the movement of the vehicle.