Calculating Net Forces and Distance Traveled of a Puck

In summary, you are given a problem with a puck and asked to find the net forces acting on it and determine how far it will travel in a given time. To solve for the net forces, you must consider both horizontal and vertical forces and use the proper equations to find their magnitudes and directions. For the distance travelled, you can use the equation for horizontal distance travelled to find the answer.
-Dragoon-

Homework Statement

a) Find the net forces acting on the puck. Remember to consider both horizontal and vertical forces.
b) If the puck leaves the stick with a velocity of 45m/s, how far will the puck travel in 3 seconds?

Homework Equations

Fnet (horizontal) = fapplied + forced friction
Fnet (vertical) = f gravity + f normal
Δd = (horizontal distance traveled) x (change in time)
c^2 = a^2 +b^2
f = (mass) x (acceleration)

The Attempt at a Solution

For a, I start with finding the horizontal net force by using the first equation. After adding both the frictional force and applied force, I yield 16.05 N. Then I find the force of gravity by using the last equation (0.164 kg)(9.8m/s^2) and yields a value of 1.568 N. I know the magnitude of the force of gravity is equal to force normal, so that would also be 1.568 N. Now I use the second equation to find the vertical net force, which yields 3.136 N. Now that the net-forces are perpendicular, I use pythagorean theorem to find the resultant which yields 16.4 (√(3.316N)^2 + (16.05 N)^2) and finally yielded a value of 16.4 N as the total net force that is acting on the puck. Is this correct? I may have wrongly assumed that, there is a vertical net force due to the question asking to consider both vertical and horizontal forces and I haven't solved a question with a vertical net force in the lesson as of yet.

For b, I actually have no idea how to solve, seeing as I haven't even seen a question like this in the lesson nor are there any examples. I assume we use the third equation which would then yield a value 135 m.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Retribution said:

Homework Statement

a) Find the net forces acting on the puck. Remember to consider both horizontal and vertical forces.
b) If the puck leaves the stick with a velocity of 45m/s, how far will the puck travel in 3 seconds?
It looks like you have left out part of the problem statement.

Homework Equations

Fnet (horizontal) = fapplied + forced friction
Fnet (vertical) = f gravity + f normal
Δd = (horizontal distance traveled) x (change in time)
c^2 = a^2 +b^2
f = (mass) x (acceleration)

The Attempt at a Solution

For a, I start with finding the horizontal net force by using the first equation. After adding both the frictional force and applied force, I yield 16.05 N. Then I find the force of gravity by using the last equation (0.164 kg)(9.8m/s^2) and yields a value of 1.568 N. I know the magnitude of the force of gravity is equal to force normal, so that would also be 1.568 N. Now I use the second equation to find the vertical net force, which yields 3.136 N.
Is that 3.136 N vertical force in the upward or downward direction? Assuming you have the correct magnitude for the normal and gravity forces, do you know in which direction each of those forces acts? Did you account for those directions when you added those two vectors?

Now that the net-forces are perpendicular, I use pythagorean theorem to find the resultant which yields 16.4 (√(3.316N)^2 + (16.05 N)^2) and finally yielded a value of 16.4 N as the total net force that is acting on the puck. Is this correct? I may have wrongly assumed that, there is a vertical net force due to the question asking to consider both vertical and horizontal forces and I haven't solved a question with a vertical net force in the lesson as of yet.

For b, I actually have no idea how to solve, seeing as I haven't even seen a question like this in the lesson nor are there any examples. I assume we use the third equation which would then yield a value 135 m.

Thanks in advance.

1. What is friction and what causes it?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities of the two surfaces rubbing against each other.

2. How does friction affect the motion of an object?

Friction can slow down or stop the motion of an object, as it acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion. It can also cause wear and tear on the surfaces in contact, leading to a decrease in the object's speed over time.

3. What factors can affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The amount of friction depends on the type of surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces. The type of motion (sliding, rolling, or static) also affects the amount of friction.

4. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants between surfaces, making the surfaces smoother, or by reducing the force pressing the surfaces together.

5. How is friction important in everyday life?

Friction plays a crucial role in our daily lives, from allowing us to walk without slipping to enabling the tires of a car to grip the road. It also helps in activities like writing, driving, and playing sports. Additionally, friction is essential in industrial processes, such as manufacturing and transportation.