1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction and Forces

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 200-kg crate is pushes horizontally with a force of 700 N. If the coefficient of friction is 0.20, calculate the acceleration of the crate.

2. Relevant equations

Well, at the moment I'm just wondering if I used the right equations, and if not then a heads up on where I went wrong :eek:

Would I start with Ffr = u x Fn

and then proceed to a = Fnet / m?

3. The attempt at a solution

Fn = 200kg x 9.8 = 1960

Ffr = u x Fn, so 1960 x .20 = 392.

Ffr = 392.

a = Fnet / m,

Fnet = Fapplied + Ffr = 700N + 392 = 1092
    [Removed Fg and Fn since they cross out as the block is not falling or rising]

Fnet / m = 1092 / 200 = 5.46 m/s

= = = =

I have another question that I'm currently stuck on but have yet to totally give it a try, so I will post the question and update it accordingly.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Safety engineers estimate that an elevator can hold 20 persons of 75-kg average mass. The eleveator itself has a mass of 500 kg. Tensile strength tests show that the cable supporting the elevator can tolerate a maximum force of 2.96 x 10^4 N. What is the greatest acceleration the elevator's motor can produce without breaking the cable.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Fnet = Fapplied + Ffr = 700N + 392 = 1092
    Fapplied and Ffr act in the opposite direction. Therefore Fnet = Fapplied - Ffr

4. Nov 26, 2007 #3
    Ahh, I always throught it was Fapplied = Fnet - Ffr with Fnet = Fapplied + Ffr.. So it would be 700 - 392 = 308, 308 / 200 = 1.54 m/s. Alright, thanks for the help :) I'll probably come back tomorrow for the next question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?