Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Friction and mass of object

1. Sep 13, 2014 #1
    Hi guys. I was just wondering if someone could enlighten me on the relationship between friction and mass of object.

For instance, if i have an object of mass 100g going down a slope… what happens if i increase the mass of object to 200g? will the angle of the slope increase or decrease for the object to move down it?

Im assuming as mass of object increases, angle of slope decreases. Can somebody correct me if I'm wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2014 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi daisy

why would you think the angle of the slope would change ?

4. Sep 13, 2014 #3
    Well I'm doing an experiment at home. So the point of this experiment is to use different masses of objects and record the angle of the slope at which the object first starts to slide down. So I've been increasing my object mass but my angles are decreasing.

5. Sep 14, 2014 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

for ease
    work out a change in mass on a fixed angle slope. and once familiar with what is happening there
    THEN start changing the slope angle to see what the effect is :smile:

cheers
    Dave

6. Sep 14, 2014 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you look at this wiki article, you will see the information you need. The Coefficient of friction is constant over a very wide range of loads. That means that, if you double the mass (weight force), the friction force doubles, too, so the limiting slope will be the same.

7. Sep 14, 2014 #6

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

If you are doing an experiment, you should write down the results you actually get, not the results you think you should get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook