How Is Power Calculated for a TIR Moving at Constant Velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the power of a TIR with a mass of 2000 tons, moving at a constant velocity of 10 m/s, and a coefficient of friction of 0.05. After considering the forces acting on the TIR, it is determined that the net horizontal force is 0, meaning there is no acceleration and therefore no net force. The formula for power, P=F*v, is then used to calculate the power needed to move the TIR, resulting in an enormous amount of power needed just to maintain a constant speed. The conversation also brings up the issue of the coefficient of friction being irrelevant and should instead state the coefficient of rolling resistance.
AlexPilk

Homework Statement

There's a TIR with a mass of 2000 tons. Constant velocity = 10 m/s, coefficient of friction = 0.05.
What is the power of the TIR

Homework Equations

P=F*v
F(friction)=uN=umg

The Attempt at a Solution

So there are 2 forces acting on the TIR:
1. The one pushing it forward which is equal = 0 since acceleration = 0. (which doesn't make any logical sense to me, but since F=ma)
2. Friction = umg = 0.05*2 000 000*10=1 000 000 N

As far as I understand the first force isn't equal to 0, because then the overall force on the TIR is 0-150000=-150000 N and the power is -1 500 000, which doesn't make any sense either

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No idea what a TIR is, except in Europe it's Transports Internationaux Routiers and them trucks don't go much over 50 tons... :)

I do hope the 10 in your expression stands for g, otherwise the dimensions don't match. The numbers certainly don't match: 0.05*2000000*10 = 1 MN and not 150 kN.

The net horizontal force on the truck (let's assume it's a truck) is zero: constant speed. There are two components: the one pushing it forward and the one holding it back (the friction -- if we forget the aerodynamic drag, which may be realistic at this low speed). Together they are 0. So the one pushing it forward is -umg. Your relevant formula comes up with a huge power, even for this very moderate speed.

Once again you run into an exercise that doesn't feel good. Is it your book, your teacher, or something else ?

BvU said:
No idea what a TIR is, except in Europe it's Transports Internationaux Routiers and them trucks don't go much over 50 tons... :)

I do hope the 10 in your expression stands for g, otherwise the dimensions don't match. The numbers certainly don't match: 0.05*2000000*10 = 1 MN and not 150 kN.

The net horizontal force on the truck (let's assume it's a truck) is zero: constant speed. There are two components: the one pushing it forward and the one holding it back (the friction -- if we forget the aerodynamic drag, which may be realistic at this low speed). Together they are 0. So the one pushing it forward is -umg. Your relevant formula comes up with a huge power, even for this very moderate speed.

Once again you run into an exercise that doesn't feel good. Is it your book, your teacher, or something else ?
Oh, yes, a truck. And I'm sorry it's actually 1 MN. It's an exercise from some book. I don't know, it seems like a real life situation so this should be solved somehow, because the force pushing it is greater than the friction, otherwise it wouldn't move, so I suppose 0MN-1MN is wrong o_O

OK, I'll go for a 2000 ton truck. As long as I don't run into it :)

(Much) more importantly: If the force pushing is greater than the friction, then Newton says it is accelerating.

Constant speed means no acceleration.
No acceleration means no net force.
Very important concept !​

(We can't capitalize: it's considered shouting. But I'd love to do just that!)

The exercise really wants you to do a very simple force balance, and then apply ##P = \vec F \cdot \vec v ##

[edit]and just think of the power you need to accelerate this Leviathan with e.g. 2 m/s2! Or, even worse: how much you must dissipate in an emergency stop at -4 m/s2!
Good thing they have a 50 or 60 ton limit on trucks here...

Last edited:
BvU said:
OK, I'll go for a 2000 ton truck. As long as I don't run into it :)

(Much) more importantly: If the force pushing is greater than the friction, then Newton says it is accelerating.

Constant speed means no acceleration.
No acceleration means no net force.
Very important concept !​

(We can't capitalize: it's considered shouting. But I'd love to do just that!)

The exercise really wants you to do a very simple force balance, and then apply ##P = \vec F \cdot \vec v ##
Ok, so the overall force = 0, because it isn't accelerating, and friction = the force pushing it, now I get it. So the force pushing the truck = 1MN, right? And then I just multiply it by the speed?

Yep!

BvU said:
Yep!
Thanks a lot! :)

So that's 13000 horsepower, just to slug along at 36 km/hour...

BvU said:
So that's 13000 horsepower, just to slug along at 36 km/hour...
I'm from Ukraine, our books are written that way. Sometimes you even get negative angles (doesn't make a lot of sense outside geometry) and friction force, because nobody thinks much swapping the values, so yes, a 2000 ton truck :D

Sympathize...

I object to the given information that the coefficient of friction is 0.05. Presumably the wheels are in rolling contact with the road, so the coefficient of friction is irrelevant. It should say the coefficient of rolling resistance.

Sustained :)

1. What is friction and how does it affect power?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces. It can decrease the efficiency of power transfer from one object to another, resulting in a decrease in power output.

2. What are the different types of friction?

The three main types of friction are static friction, which prevents an object from moving when a force is applied; kinetic friction, which occurs when two surfaces are in motion relative to each other; and rolling friction, which is the resistance to motion of a round object rolling on a surface.

3. How does friction impact the performance of machines?

Friction can cause wear and tear on the moving parts of machines, resulting in decreased performance and efficiency. It can also lead to overheating and energy loss, which can affect the overall power output of a machine.

4. Can friction be reduced or eliminated?

Friction can be reduced through the use of lubricants, such as oil or grease, which create a barrier between two surfaces and reduce the amount of contact between them. However, it cannot be completely eliminated as it is a natural force that occurs between all objects.

5. How can the effects of friction be minimized in everyday life?

In everyday life, we can minimize the effects of friction by using smooth and polished surfaces, reducing the weight of objects, and using lubricants. Additionally, proper maintenance and regular cleaning can help to reduce friction and prolong the life of machines and objects.