Friction and relative motion

In summary: But you can also look at the motion of the small block with respect to the big block, and then find the time it takes for the small block to move that distance.
Nuha99

Homework Statement

A block of mass m rests on the left edge of a block of length L and mass M. Coefficient of kinetic friction between m and M is u. There is no friction between the bottom block (M) and the floor. A constant horizontal force F is applied to mass m, setting it in motion. How long will it take the block m to make it to the right of the bigger block? How far does the block M move in the process? view attached file for diagram.

Homework Equations

F = u R
s = ut + 1/2 at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Net forfard force on m is = F - fk = F - uR1 = F - umg

Newton's second law: a = (F - umg)/m

s = 0 + 1/2 a t^2

L = 1/2 a t^2

solve for t: =

It was given that L = 3 m, M= 8kg, m = 2kg , u = 0.300 and F = 10 N

t =1.7 s

answer given in the book for t = 2.13 s.

I am missing something. Can you point out what might be wrong? thank you.

Attachments

• two blocks.JPG
    two blocks.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 369
Physics news on Phys.org
hi, in your calculations, you did not take into account that the big block M was also moving.
your answer would be correct if the big block M did not move.

you should find the acceleration of the big block M and then find the distance that the big block M moves for a given time t.
den L = (distance moved by small block - distance moved by big block) and then it will be solved..

Thanks. I tried that before. But now I understand that the force on the big block due to the first block is fk. Not fk - F. With that correction, and your suggestion, I am getting the answer given in the book.

I am not still clearly understanding the fact that we are looking at the the first block's motion with respect to the earth. The method of finding t, in my first posting was done by observing the motion of m, with respect to the big block. Why is it wrong? I have few more similar problems and I need to understand this to do them correctly. Thanks.

Nuha99 said:
I am not still clearly understanding the fact that we are looking at the the first block's motion with respect to the earth. The method of finding t, in my first posting was done by observing the motion of m, with respect to the big block. Why is it wrong?
In your first post you found the time it takes for the small block to move L = 3 m with respect to the earth. But you need to find the time it takes to move 3 m with respect to the big block, not the earth.

One way of looking at it is to solve for the time it takes for the small block to move 3 m farther than the big block (with respect to the earth).

What is friction?

Friction is the force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces in contact. It is caused by the irregularities on the surfaces that come in contact with each other.

How does friction affect relative motion?

Friction acts in the opposite direction of the applied force, thus it can either slow down or prevent the relative motion between two surfaces.

What factors affect the amount of friction?

The amount of friction depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the relative speed between the surfaces.

What are the types of friction?

The three types of friction are static friction, kinetic friction, and rolling friction. Static friction occurs when two surfaces are at rest, kinetic friction occurs when two surfaces are in motion, and rolling friction occurs when an object rolls on a surface.

How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by applying lubricants between two surfaces, using smooth and polished surfaces, and reducing the force pressing the surfaces together.